• Register Today It's free!

Wrong Balljoints

kpgli84

Reaction score
City, State
Langley, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
I went to buy lower balljoints for my 1991 explorer and was told that there are two different styles for the explorer. one for the dana 28 axle and one for ther dana 35 axle.
as it turns out my truck uses the dana 28 lower balljoints (the ones with the castle nut) but my trucks front axle ID tag has a code for a dana 35. the housing also has 10 bolts in it like a dana 35 should. (as far as i know the dana 28 has 12 bolts)

so why would my truck have the dana 28 balljoints?
by the way the truck was built in November 1990

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your axle should be either a D28 or a D35 not a mix.... Did you install new ball joints or just buy the parts? Why do you think the lower ball joints are for a D28?

Ford did some strange part mixing at the end of the Bronco II line and beginning of the Explorer line. I have heard of 1990 Bronco II's with Dana 35's under them from the factory. Having said that, though, I have never heard of an Explorer with Dana 28 axles. Anything is possible though...

I just bought the parts. from everything that i have read on here the dana 28 uses lower balljoints that are threaded and have a castle nut on them, whereas the dana 35 balljoints are held in with a pinch bolt.

but everything under the truck looks like it is from a dana 35 except the balljoints. and the axle code is for a dana 35.

i was worried that it might have actually have a dana 28 in it, but maybe my truck was constructed from the ford parts bin.

anybody else ever seen this?

no, I don't think any of the explorers ever came with the D28 - where were you getting these balljoints from? I think it's probably an error on their side.

Only the upper balljoints are held in with a pinch bolt, the lower D35 baljoints are held in with a castle nut.

carsonm

kpgli84 said:
I just bought the parts. from everything that i have read on here the dana 28 uses lower balljoints that are threaded and have a castle nut on them, whereas the dana 35 balljoints are held in with a pinch bolt.

but everything under the truck looks like it is from a dana 35 except the balljoints. and the axle code is for a dana 35.

i was worried that it might have actually have a dana 28 in it, but maybe my truck was constructed from the ford parts bin.

anybody else ever seen this?

carsonm said:
Only the upper balljoints are held in with a pinch bolt, the lower D35 baljoints are held in with a castle nut.

carsonm

I bought the balljoints from autoparts plus, looks like i have to go back there and take a look at the one that they say is for a D35. the ones i bought look correct though.

I see that you live not too far from me. how often do you go out wheeling?

I had a feeling you thought the D35 didn't use a castle nut... Here is a picture of a D35 Steering Knuckle with new ball joints.
18205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB-med.jpg

Thanks guys
Looks like i will be going back to exchange the ball joints. or at least buy the other ones and when i tear it apart i know i will have the right ones on hand.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Back