• Register Today It's free!

Wrong GEM?

paperdesk

Reaction score
City, State
Inchelium, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer
Recently I baught a used 98 xlt. Now the dealer says I have a 97' GEM instead of a 98' GEM and that is causing problems (see below). Does this sound reasonable?

I had problems with the 4x4 high and lo lights blinking instead of the high light staying solid when I switch from auto 4x4 to full time 4x4. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad connection. They "repaired" the connection and nothing changed! Now they tell me that it has a 97 GEM instead of a 98'. Does this sound like it would cause this problem? No other GEM controlled electronics seem to be affected. In fact, the 4x4 does work when I put it into full time 4x4 but it doesn't work in auto. I do get a wide varity range in my gas mileage if this might be connected (from 15mph to 18).

Thank you for your advice!

Ted

Welcome!

The wrong GEM could definately contribute to 4x4 problems. The programs may be similar enough for most things to work, but auto 4x4 by it's nature requires good and accurate software. However, this may not be the true or only cause of this problem. Can the dealer tell you the codes printed on the GEM? Maybe someone can corroborate those codes.

Hopefully someone else has some insight. Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm wondering if anyone out there can confirm the part number for the GEM (General Electronic Module) for my 98 Explorer 4x4, 4.0. The dealer says I have a 97 and I had a look at all the number on the module I have:

F77B-14B205-EA

and UBCA75A95E90

Does anyone know if this is for the 97 or 98 or if indeed these two are really different?

Thank you!

I called the dealer and they confirmed that these are indeed two different parts. I'll see if the real thing will make a difference :p

Back