X24 Bit The Dust | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

X24 Bit The Dust

Hopefully you're lawyer will get things taken care of for you. I'm surprised the dealer has held out as long as they have. Most places would rather just settle it and get you out of there to avoid any additional costs and hassles.

My girlfriend had a problem like this with a dealer back before I knew her, and to make a long story short, she had a Probe GT, and drove away with a WS6 Trans Am... Some dealers will do anything to settle something out of court.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only update is that no lawyer in my area does these kinds of cases. My friends father who is a lawyer sent a letter and the dealerships attorney sent one back saying that I havent responded to any of their communications. They havent tried contacting me once. I have left over 2 dozen messages for them to call me and they have not called.

These are my options...

1) Pay for a tow to another dealership and pay to have them pull the motor and tear it down to see what went wrong. If it was a problem with a newly installed part, it will be covered by FMC. If it is something completely unrelated, it will be covered by my warranty company. If it's a workmanship problem I would have to take Miracle Ford to small claims court for the cost of the tow, tear down and repairs... and anything can happen in court. It's not 100%.

2) Take it to Miracle Ford and let them fix it. Get lied to some more about what really went wrong and get one of three things. A new head gasket, a new head, or a new motor, depending on the extent of the damage. You can bet your ass I want a new motor. Nobody wants to keep a block that was part of a motor failure, even if the damage was in the top of the motor. Things can happen to it that the UNtrained eyes of the mechanics won't pick up... if they even look.

It's pretty much a lose, lose situation for me. The best outcome is that I get my truck back with a new motor.

:( That really sucks, Chris.

#1 sounds like your best option, really. At least it's covered that way. Besides, if your extended insurance company covers it and you tell them about how it happened, I bet they'd try suing Miracle for damages, since they had their own experienced mechanic fix it, ya know? I imagine they have REALLY good lawyers, being an insurance company and all.....

(5/25)
I went to the dealership this past Friday with my father to have a meeting with the service manager, John Rinaldi. John could not remember what happened to my Explorer, but he did remember that I had made several dozen phone calls to the owner (who never responded) and to Ford headquarters and said that only slowed down the process. I told him I would have it towed back there and they were to work on it immediately and keep me informed everyday of the status. The Explorer was towed out at the dealerships cost on Friday. Monday afternoon, John called me and told me they didnt have a chance to get to it and hoped to get it in Tuesday morning. I drove past the dealership at 2pm on Tuesday and the Explorer was still in the same spot. I got a call from John at 5pm on Tuesday saying that they found nothing wrong with my Explorer. They said it started up fine and the coolant level and oil levels were normal. I have video tape of the empty coolant overflow and radiator and the watery oil. I asked him how it could possibly run fine and how the coolant was back in the radiator and he said thats how the tech found it. He told me they were going to keep it over night because they wanted to put dye in the coolant and pressure test it to make sure none gets in the crankcase. I went out there around 6pm and all the service people were gone. I drove around back and the shop door was open and I did not see my Explorer in the shop. I looked around the lot and it was not on the lot either. My Explorer was in the drop-off bay which is locked up at night (the place where customers drive into the building to leave their cars for service). The other times when they kept my Explorer overnight they would either leave it in the shop or sit it in the rows between the new cars. It's almost like they didnt want me to get to it. I went into the dealership and the door was open to the drop-off bay. I went in and popped the hood. The motor was warm so I didnt open the radiator, but there was coolant in the overflow. I pulled the dipstick and the oil looked OK.
I just don't get it. I know what I saw and everyone else who saw it knows what they saw. My radiator was empty and my oil level was double what it should have been and was very watery. It stalled out on me after I heard loud tapping and when I restarted it, it ran terrible. What could they have done in three hours to make it better? I'm not crazy and I have proof on
tape of the empty radiator. I'm just dumbfounded that the manager could tell me they found it in perfect working order. Another thing. My battery died hile it was sitting there so any CEL codes that I got when it came on had been erased and the computer had been reset. John told me that they ran the codes because they saw the CEL and came up with an ignition code of some sort and something about a battery disconnect. Now, I never told him that I replaced the battery so that means when they started it up something was still wrong to throw the CEL.

(5/26)
Today was strange. I actually drove my truck for the first time in over a month. I started it up and it sounded fine at idle. I put it in drive and when the RPM's dropped a little I heard a rattle that I have never heard before. I pointed that out to John Rinaldi who was in the passengers seat. I hit the road and it felt OK under normal driving conditions. I got on the highway and gave it some gas and I let off around 4,000 RPM. Just as I let off I heard a rattle for a split second. I did it again and heard the same thing. After the third time I asked John if he heard it... of course he didnt. I asked him to listen carefully and the next time I kept my foot on the gas. It took about 7 seconds for it to climb from 4,000 to 5,000 RPM's and had no power. That range is this motors power band and that climb should be instantaneous. During this time I heard that rattle constantly. I kept my foot on the gas and asked John if he heard it to which he replied Yes. I said, "Would you agree that something is wrong?" He said Yes. I turned around and went back to the dealership driving it easier, but I could still hear the noise at some points... it was getting worse. That is the same thing that happened when I was driving home right before it stalled out. The RPM's were climbing rediculously slow with the tapping noise and then it stalled. I parked it back in the drop-off bay and he said they would look into it further. He said there was a rep coming out tomorrow and he would talk to him about it. He said he thinks its something lower in the motor and doesnt think its related to the recall. Now, I'm not a professional and neither is he, but if you ask me, this is a timing issue. From the research I have done on the guide recall (01M01) it looks like they need to put pins in the cam to keep it from moving while performing the recall... not sure on that though. Timing would reduce the power and would cause this tapping if its valves meeting pistons. Otherwise, it may be a problem with the tensioner or guide and the chain is slapping around. That's my opinion. John's opinion is that it's something unrelated to the recall. He thinks its damage that was caused from the bad tensioner and guide and now that it has new parts, the damage is showing up. I find that highly unlikely, but we will see.

Man. Good thing he was in the truck with you when that happened. Atleast it runs, somewhat.

Hey, finally you're getting somewhere at least...... So the idjits at Miracle think it's something else not related to the cam recall? BS! Make them redo it again, maybe the noise will go away?

Seems like you and I are having the same mystery noise and lack of power, Chris! Blackjack's chain was getting noisy again a few months ago, but I was told it was a 'normal' noise. Well, As Draper can tell you, the Godawful racket my SOHC made in his garage is a good indicator that something ain't right :eek: I thought maybe my PS rack was making the wierd 'tinkling' noise at high speeds, but turns out it's really the stupid chain again. There's been noticable slowness to get up to that speed lately, too.

Unlike your horrible dealer, mine has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on all their repairs and they have no problems fixing things they goobered, so Jack's going back in again on Tuesday (maybe to have the recall done a third time- hopefully this won't happen again!). I asked the mechanic who's gonna be working on him to do a more thorough inspection on the motor and see if anything's really out of whack. I'll post what they find out soon as I get him back,

Good luck with the @$$holes up there, don't let them boss you around!

Well, good news... I think.

I got a message on my machine today from the service manager. He said, "I talked to the rep today and we found that the motor is covered under the TSB." I called back but he had already left for the day so I'll try tomorrow. I dont know of that means the MOTOR (as in new motor) is covered or if that just means the motor problems are covered. I'm sure it just means my already damaged motor will just be fixed enough to make it quiet. :rolleyes:

It's a Miracle! :)

Let's hope so.

Their motto is "Expect Miracles!"

OK, I dont want to get my hopes up, but the service manager called me this morning and told me the rep said he had seen this before and gave him some contacts for getting my motor replaced. He needs to talk with them and get Ford to approve it.

I'll hold off on the bouncy guy until I know for sure. So in the meantime, here's just a little smile. ;)

glad things seem to finaly be working out for you, sucks it took so long to get going any where :burnout:

Good to hear that things are starting to go your way. I've got my fingers crossed that you get a new engine and not just another fix. I noticed on the Ford Racing parts site that Aviator crate engines are available. Tell them one of those would work just fine. :D

Papers were faxed this morning. Dealership is waiting on approval for a new motor. :thumbsup:

Cool, hope you get a new motor. :cool:

Gonna have it done by the end of the week? :p

glad that it looks like you will be on the road again for the summer, same things didn't go in to place sooner, so you could make it to carsile

I'm planning on it taking at least a month for them to do a motor swap. I'm sure there's some kind of wait list for these motors, plus all the paperwork and other BS. I'm just glad they're stepping up to the plate finally. He said it falls under the recall, so naturally it won't come out of the dealers pocket.

Glad to hear good news finally, Chris! Think you might keep it or are you still bent on selling it?

I had my cam tensioner done for the THIRD time today- it's still noisy but the engine runs strong as ever, so I'm just gonna ignore it until it blows and get a loan for a v8 swap :D BTW, I dunno if y'all know this, but Ford recommends using their oil filters... something about lots of aftermarket ones not having a drain back valve? They said it can possibly contribute to problems with the motor, how much truth there is to that I don't know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so now I'm wondering what exactly comes with a new motor from the factory. Obviously the block and heads, but what about the upper and lower intakes, plugs, wires, belt tensioner, TB...

I need a new belt tensioner and I have new plugs and wires sitting next to me that would have gone on months ago if I had my truck. I know my intake plenum is filthy and I want to have that spit shined before it goes on a fresh motor if it has to be reused.

As far as still wanting to sell it... I'm not sure. I won't know until I drive it. If I'm happy with the job and if feels good I may keep it and hope some nice aftermarket parts come out since the mustangs will be using this motor. Nothing like a fresh motor to put a SC on, so I'll have to keep in touch with EE too. BUT, if I have funny feelings about it I may want to sell it. I'll just have to wait it out.

Who knows... I hope to be making some major life changes soon. I finally got that really expensive piece of paper from my college that they say will help me get ahead in life or something, so maybe that will take me some place where money will be thrown at me. :cool:

Anyway, if anyone know what comes with it please let me know.

(Hey Spas, maybe you could ask around at your dealership? ;) )

Back