• Register Today It's free!

Y-Pipe Question

Brock94

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I recently removed and reinstalled my Y-Pipe to do some transmission work-- since then I've noticed a repetitive "pffft" sound that increases in rate with engine rpm. I'm thinking (but haven't confirmed) that it's a leak where the Y-pipe meets the exhaust manifold. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket at these connections?

(If one was already on there, I didn't notice when I took it apart and reassembled, so it might need to be replaced with a new one.)

i believe there should be a gasket in there but i cant remember. call your local auto parts store. they can look this stuff up for you.

Y pipe question

According to Haynes (2A-9), the 4.0 L pushrod engines did not have a gasket where the exhaust manifold meets the head. My 91 Mazda didn't when i pulled the heads. The cylinder head kit comes with a manifold gasket anyway for circomstances where the manifolds warped

not sure about that spot, but on my ex the passenger side connection is rusting out, and causing the same leaking noise. I do believe that there is a gasket between the y-pipe and cat, so i wouldn't be suprised if theres soposed to be a gasket between the y pipe, and mainfolds.

Back