Yes I did...Topless AND SAS Explorer.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yes I did...Topless AND SAS Explorer..

and its awsome...

full enclosed..
dcp_6000.jpg

dcp_6001.jpg

windows open..
DCP_6002.jpg

DCP_6003.jpg

full open...
DCP_6004.jpg

DCP_6005.jpg

rear window...
DCP_6006.jpg

subframe..
dcp_5997.jpg

all comes off for full topless...couldnt find red/black/white camo...so out came the rattle cans...stitched by the local boat guys that do interiors and covers...$200 total in materials and stitching...:eek:hyeah:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i like it almost as much as i like the camo paint which is alot! :thumbsup:

Do you have a picture with the top off?

heres the only one..I can get more more later..
DCP_5994.jpg

nice rig, but i was kinda disappointed when i saw "topless" in the title and got a picture of a chopped explorer ;) .

but seriously, that thing is sweet, looks like it's real fun off road :biggthump
funny how TOPLESS replaced FREE BEER for the fastest response from people...:D

FROADER....its 1/2in pipe bent in a frame for sub-structure...couple bends..and a notcher..took about a hour to do it..$40 in pipe from lowes...:cool:

Looks like it turned out real good. Can't complain about seeing a topless Explorer :D Hows it seal up, did it get a leak test yet?

I feel like as soon as my SAS is done its gonna be a downhill fight between my sheetmetal and the sawzall.

I actually like the way it looks alot better now man, but for some reason...i think it resembles a yota now :confused:

If'n I don't get my pos together by CF can I ride shotgun :D

Looks like it turned out real good. Can't complain about seeing a topless Explorer :D Hows it seal up, did it get a leak test yet?

I feel like as soon as my SAS is done its gonna be a downhill fight between my sheetmetal and the sawzall.

not yet..gotta get the contact cement to glue the other side of the velcro to the body. and get the main rain deflector installed on the roof...its just tied down in the pix..will get the rest done here real soon...

and who cares if it leaks..the sploder's bedlined...I spray it out with the garden hose...:p:

I actually like the way it looks alot better now man, but for some reason...i think it resembles a yota now :confused:

If'n I don't get my pos together by CF can I ride shotgun :D

when its nice and tight it shouldnt...I did try to keep the origonal line on the back..so it didnt end up lookin like a runner...but theres only so many ways to make a box...:D

you can ride anytime...I imagine I'll probably have a full rig alot of the time...till it rains and everybody runs for a hardtop and abandons me...:(

I'm going to bring a tri-cycle this year...green is getting nasty though so i best put some decent tires on it :D

Looks pretty nice. I'd like to do mine someday....but you know how my projects tend to get extended lol

Just imagine what it feels like when its not a daily driver anymore. Im trying to restrain myself unstill I have the materials to make the top can cage but its soo tempting.

Just imagine what it feels like when its not a daily driver anymore. Im trying to restrain myself unstill I have the materials to make the top can cage but its soo tempting.

First time I break the glass its getting cut :D

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

What kind of 1/2" pipe was that? Was it aluminum electrical outdoor pipe?

the softtop subframe was standard off the shelf Black Iron plumbing pipe..the ends were threaded....I notched and welded it to the body and the cross brace..looks good!!...its .90 wall or so...my exo is 1.5 HREW .120 wall..

What did you use to bend the pipe? Do you have a hydraulic bender or did you bend them by hand with a conduit bender?

yep..conduit bender will do 1/2 iron...just go slow...its a good thing I DONT have a tubing bender...I'd end up divorced and sleepin in the garage...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back