• Register Today It's free!

Yet another question about A/C

scottieD

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 LTD
Hope that someone can shed some light on this cos it is getting pretty hot up here in BC!
94 Ex LTD, initially thought that the compressor had siezed because the pulley was not turning, done a quick fix by fitting a shorter belt thus bypassing it.
Now that I have had a look at it, it was a siezed bearing on the pulley which I fixed, put the long belt back on and tried the A/C but it doesn't work, I am thinking that the problems lies with the clutch, but I have read many times that when the clutch goes, to change the compressor as a matter of course as it is most likely shot as well, so does anyone think that fitting a new clutch would be worthwhile?
Your input will be gratefully received :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have any decent junkyards near you? if so then you could just get a newish one

Are you sure it's the compressor clutch?

Anyway, most follks will change out the compressor (w/clutch) when it fails.

The tools to rebuild a compressor (and clutch) are expensive and not cost effective for most of DIY people. Not to mention the knowledge.....air gap.....did you set it?

Aloha, Mark

Also, if you have R12, you should consider converting it to 134.

There is a low pressure switch on the A/C line near the stock Air box. If the switch detects a low pressure situation it will cut power to the A/C clutch..

Back