Yet another Wheel Bearing Post....DRONE DRIVING ME DAFFY!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another Wheel Bearing Post....DRONE DRIVING ME DAFFY!!

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
1992 first gen 4x4.

Replaced front wheel bearings and races...again...

Packed well, everything looks fine.

I am STILL getting a droning sound at highway speeds. Here is how it goes..

AT, say, 65, I let off the gas, and I can really hear it. Louder the faster I am going.

Seems to take a few minutes to heat up...meaning if I get on the freeway and get up to speed it seems like it takes maybe 10-15 minutes before the drone really kicks in...

It is in the driveline and or wheels, not the motor an or tranny / Tcase as it persists when I drop into N.

The "drone' Is just that, a low frequency hum or drone, coming from the front.

I checked all diffs and t-case. All full and fresh.

Checked universals. Tight, no play.

I replaced both inboard and outboard bearing on the front..WELL packed with high temp grease.

Rotated the front tires to the back.

Droning persists.

Anyone have any ideas? I am stumped!

Now...I have NOT YET re-set my front bearings after driving for a week or so, but...the drone persisted immediately after I completed the job and has not changed so I am assuming that adjustment will not help that, although it will be good. Maybe I am wrong..?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same conditions im experienceing same noise

im am hearing the same exact noise thinking its wheel bearings but now its coming from directly in front of the driver near front differental will have to check front hubs to make shure they are locked out. any one having the same noise chime in. thanks ron

I know you are hearing it from the front. Sometimes noise can telegraph on the frame, and it can be mistaken. To me, it sounds like excess play in the rear dif, or a bad wheel bearing in back.

+1 Especially since you say it happens when you let off the gas. Sounds like a bad axle bearing, carrier bearing, or excessive play between the ring and pinion.

Dads Bronco was exactly the same. The rear end had almost 1/2" of play when you spun the pinion lol.

make sure the hubs are unlocked. When my auto hubs stick it make a pretty bad drone.

my hubs are not auto can they be locked and know it?

Are you sure its not a tire? I had one front tire that droned like a wheel bearing. Worn exactly the same as the others. Thought for sure it was the bearing. I changed tires and it stopped.

Auto lockers, both unlocked and free wheeling. Rear end is tight and full, actually replaced fluid.

In truth, I am stumped. Hoping some else has had this and found the solution...

Tires or a tire,my 94 has a similar problem in that if I put the rear tires up front it sounds like the u-joints are going bad in the axles.Real bad.

But it is just one or both of the tires with less then 20,000 on them.No chopping and great tread,put them in the rear and all is well.That's what I get for running P rated tires.:D

Just a thought.....Also,check your U-joints,they may be tight but also may be dry as a bone and full of grinding needle bearings.

Back