Solved - Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I’ve got a single used auto hub that I’ll let go of if you need it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys,

Not sure if I should make a new thread or add onto this. It seems like there are a bunch of posts already floating around here about automatic locking hubs.

I drive a '92 Explorer and the 4x4 is engaging, but it seems to have some issue. When I drive at a very low speed and make a turn, it feels like something is getting wound up tight in my hubs/the sensation I'm trying to get over a big hump. This is then followed by a loud bang/clunking sound after which it drives normal again, but it will continue to repeat this process. Does this mean my hubs are bad?

I want to clean them out first to see if that solves is. Otherwise I might switch to the manual hubs, but I'd like to see if I can save my auto hubs.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Not sure if I should make a new thread or add onto this. It seems like there are a bunch of posts already floating around here about automatic locking hubs.

I drive a '92 Explorer and the 4x4 is engaging, but it seems to have some issue. When I drive at a very low speed and make a turn, it feels like something is getting wound up tight in my hubs/the sensation I'm trying to get over a big hump. This is then followed by a loud bang/clunking sound after which it drives normal again, but it will continue to repeat this process. Does this mean my hubs are bad?

I want to clean them out first to see if that solves is. Otherwise I might switch to the manual hubs, but I'd like to see if I can save my auto hubs.

Thanks!

What surface are you driving on in 4wd?

If on dry pavement or anything that is not loose, that is exactly what happens, as one wheel turns faster (or slower) than the other, and it has to slip, to catch up to the other. It will feel like a hop and a jolt when this happens. It is also very bad to do this, as it can break a hub, axle shaft, or U-joint.

I don't use the 4x4 mode on pavement. I made that mistake when I just got her, haha. So when I'm offroad in 4x4 it doesn't seem to happen unless I'm parked on packed/hard gravel. If I was to turn my wheel and then start to drive it will make that banging noise.

So you're saying that this is normal? Not due to bad hubs?

I don't use the 4x4 mode on pavement. I made that mistake when I just got her, haha. So when I'm offroad in 4x4 it doesn't seem to happen unless I'm parked on packed/hard gravel. If I was to turn my wheel and then start to drive it will make that banging noise.

So you're saying that this is normal? Not due to bad hubs?

If a hub is bad, you wouldn't have any traction or wheel action at all. The front differential is an open carrier in stock form. Meaning power is transferred to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Both hubs need to be in proper order for any power to be sent to either wheel. One bad hub, means no 4wd at all, and no power to the ground from either side. Sounds like hubs are not your issue.

I would check the U-joints in the axles.

If a hub is bad, you wouldn't have any traction or wheel action at all. The front differential is an open carrier in stock form. Meaning power is transferred to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Both hubs need to be in proper order for any power to be sent to either wheel. One bad hub, means no 4wd at all, and no power to the ground from either side. Sounds like hubs are not your issue.

I would check the U-joints in the axles.
Thank you!

No, that’s not normal.
When my auto hubs went bad, this was twenty years ago, they would bind and release when under load in 4wd, so much that the release would sound and feel like the axle snapped. They (it was probably just one hub) did that the whole day of off-roading. I replaced them with manuals before I wheeled again.
Auto hubs don’t always just stop working suddenly and cleanly, there can be a slow-death process.
Your description sounds like the hubs to me. They don’t last forever, most have died years ago, and yours are 27 years old. Time to upgrade to manuals.

Haha! You’re on! If it’s not the hub, I’ll buy you a beer next time you’re in my neighborhood. ;) :chug:
Btw, when I said “no, that’s not normal”, I was answering the OP when he asked if it was normal. :)

She. ;)

I saw the thread on how to switch to manual hubs and I'm definitely considering it. I'm guessing the previous owners simply didn't use the 4x4. How much time does a job like that usually take?

Haha! You’re on! If it’s not the hub, I’ll buy you a beer next time you’re in my neighborhood. ;) :chug:
Btw, when I said “no, that’s not normal”, I was answering the OP when he asked if it was normal. :)

Deal! We will wait for her update. It could go either way I guess. :shifty:

When my auto hubs gave way, they gave way instantly, and the plastic cam was in half. The axle just spun & spun freely. No noise, nothing. (Yes, went to manual after that, lol)
I have watched one missing cap on an axle u-joint create slop, it would bind on a turn, making a nice loud pop/thud as the wheel spun.

PH1990,
The manual hubs themselves take all of 2 seconds to install. The spindle hardware is what takes a bit longer.

Back