• Register Today It's free!

Zerex G-05 coolant?

Mr Nelson

Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
When I got my explorer it had yellow coolant in the overflow, I thought it might have been gold but Iam thinking it may have been the yellow supertech walmart sales. Anyways I removed all coolant from reservoir and radiator and filled with distilled water and Zerex G-05. I haven't had any problems but searching the internet I couldn't find anyone that used it on their older 5.0 only someone thinking about using it on their 97 mountaineer on BITOG.

Just wanted to see if anyone has some success stories to backspacing G-05 on their old ford vehicle.

I use zerex g05 in place of gold coolant. It's a quality coolant.

Awesome! I even read about people using it on 60s mopar's and apparently its one of the only newer coolants that can be back speced without hurting anything.

@Mr Nelson

Just sayin ' - for years now, the general consensus on Bob Is The Oil Guy is that the "new" coolants which started emerging in the early 90's (OAT, HOAT, NOAT) are all backwards compatible - as long as they are not mixed with another type of coolant.

These types of coolants do not play nice with each other, including when mixed with the "old" IAT type coolant, even in trace amounts...

Make sure that you completely drain your cooling & heater system of whatever type of coolant you're currently using before making a change!

IAT is "old school" green coolant that's been around since the the early 1940's - the standard 2 year, 30,000 mile green coolant.

HTH and YMMV :thumbsup:

Back