RockRangerII Refresh | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII Refresh

I am going to be going through my 93 ranger and giving it a refresh. I bought the truck in late 2004. Other then a rancho lift kt it was an all stock stripped truck with a 4.0 manual trans and tcase. No AC cruise or power windows. The perfect basic wheeling rig.

Here are the specs of how the truck currently sat before this refresh.

4.0V6 all stock
Stock 5 speed
d.d. machine duel case setup with manual 1350 front and 1354 rear.
Front axle is a 1984 Jeep wagonner dana 44 converted to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern 4.88 gears and an Aussie locker
Three link front suspension using 8" skyjacker TJ springs.
Rear axle is a 1992 explorer 8.8 4.88 gears and welded spider gears.
63" Chevy springs with a bellteck shackle.
BroncoII tank behind the rear axle
Warn 9.5 XP winch behind the front grill.
Interior roll cage
37" MTR on 17" steel rims

11806351705_12f3ea8e7c_c.jpg

Untitled by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

I took the truck down to King of The Hammers and few years ago and did some wheeling and managed to crush the bed good. Broke both front hubs and all 4 front axles, bent the rear driveshaft and ripped a shock mount off. Due to life getting in the way it sat on the trailer for 18 months before I even touched it again. Now I plan to give the truck some love and get it back on the trials again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha! You finally used the lights:D

Glad to know I'm not the only one tripping over kids bicycles around:(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

While searching on Amazon I found some $19 LED pod lights so I decided to give them a try. I needed mounts so I decided to try the bottom of the windshield. I drew up a bracket and cut them out.

20150929_111335 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Not having a decent way to bend metal I resorted to a hammer and vice. The cut lines in the bracket help to line up the bend points.

20150929_111521 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Two brackets mirror images of each other for each side of the truck.

20150929_134400 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Lights mounted up.

20150929_175939 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Hood clears all the way through normal motion. I still need to wire and aim them. If I decide I like them I have a few ideas for improving these mounts that I will implement into version two.

20150929_175656 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Nice work Matt:chug:

In my quest for more storage spots on the truck I turned to the dash. The 89-94 ranger and 91-94 explorers have a nice flat spot on the dash that is fine to hold pens on the highway but nothing stays there when off road. I decided to build a box to fit in this area.

Little time with cardboard and the computer and I had this drawing.

dash box by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

After cutting it on my plasma table I started to make the necessary bends. I need a finger brake as this was what I came up with to make a few of the bends.

20150929_142010 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Here is the box in position. To mount it I drilled two holes through the bottom and thru the dash. I dropped the glove box which gave me the room to put a fender washer and nut on the bottom to mount it. I had to grind a bit of the latch to allow it to clear the dash.

20150929_161041 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

OK, now that is cool. I always wondered why Ford built that flat spot that holds nothing.

DUH! So you know Dino's are coming!:D:JP:

e-of-the-most-terrifying-scenes-from-jurassic-park.gif

Super cool Matt. I love the box idea. With my 60/40 bench seat I don't have any cup holders in my ranger. It is super annoying sometimes. I have considered doing something about it, but never thought of that.

My rock lights were off ebay. I think the total was $12.00
Have ten more for spares that were less than $10.

The old headliner was nasty and falling off.

20151102_154506 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

My first trip to Joanns fabric with my wife and $26 later we walked out with Adhesive and new material. Stripped the old material off and glued the new material on.

20151102_173144 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Installed in the truck.

20151102_185936 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

I also added a switch to the clutch start switch. With the switch off you have to push the clutch in to start the truck. Flip a switch and it will start in gear.

Defiantly helps with cage in there:thumbsup:

Mine needs replacing....but there is only one way it's coming out, and it ain't going back in then.:(

I haven't liked my plastic storage box in the bed of my truck. It is large on the outside and small on the inside. Another issue is I didn't have a good space to store my long side spare front shaft. I have alloy shafts but with a dana 44 and 37"s I still have my doubts on the strength. So I decided to build my own box. After some measuring and computer time I cut the shape of the box.

20151106_164458 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

If you look closely on it you can see where I wrote up and down for the direction each bend had to go. My biggest mistake is I should have made the relief cuts longer on the bend lines as I do not have a good way to bend metal. After a few hours with the help of Tracy I was able to get it all bent. A little more time with clamps was able to get it all welded together. I built a lid and used a piano hinge on the back. I still need to finish the lock and add a handle to it.

20151107_182127 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20151107_182133 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

20151107_182152 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Gauge?

Mine needs replacing....but there is only one way it's coming out, and it ain't going back in then.:(

I'm in the same boat. The fabric on mine is delaminating as well.

Your restoration of the headliner turned out great Matt:chug:

16 It is what I had. I probably would have done 18 if I was buying material. Once I get new seats;) I will get some 18 to build the center consul.

I'm in the same boat. The fabric on mine is delaminating as well.

Your restoration of the headliner turned out great Matt:chug:

Thanks. I was sick of how bad it looked. I plan on keeping the truck many more years so I figured I better make the interior a little nicer.

Back