Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

New rotors and pads, now brakes get HOT, what did I do?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
94Jo
lou.ky
1994 navajo

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
New rotors and pads, now brakes get HOT, what did I do?

I just replaced my well worn rotors and brake pads, following Glaciers write up. Before i replaced them, the passenger side break got very hot and seemed to stick. Well, after $115 in new parts and a few hours in 95 degree heat, the brakes still get hot. The Navajo drives a lot better and brakes better, but i can still smell the heat and feel it after a drive, What is sticking? I thought I lubed the caliper "slides" I guess you could call it. What makes my brakes stick and get hot? Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
94Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
little x
SW VA
'91 XL

Vehicle Specs

Is the truck pulling to one side? Sounds to me like a sticking caliper. Although if it were sticking badly you'd know it, since you'd only be able to drive a mile or two before smoke would start pouring out.

Did you lube the slides with the specific break grease?
little x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
94Jo
lou.ky
1994 navajo

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Its not to the point of smoke pouring out, it almost got that bad with the old brakes, but these just get warm enough to notice. I lubed the slides with coastal "disc brake caliper grease" or something of the sort. Maybe just didnt get adequate lubrication? Is there somewhere beside the slide that I should lube? TIA
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
94Jo
lou.ky
1994 navajo

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Anybody else ever have this happen? BUMP
Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Mbrooks420
High Voltage.
Erie, Pennsylvania

1998 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the old brakes were getting hot and still had some material on them, I'd say you have sticky calipers.

1999 KTM 300exc RaceTech Suspension, Rekluse Slipper Clutch, single track killer
Mbrooks420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
duke16
Raleigh, NC
1997 5.0L AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did the pad fit into the caliper smoothly, without to much trouble? I had some from Advance that were extremely tight, to the point where I had to hammer them into the caliper slides. Consequently, they wouldn't retract properly and stuck to the rotor.

Mac Performance Intake | Engine Rebuilt | Warrior Shackles/TT Lift | Flo Pro Muffler (FP736)
duke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
94Jo
lou.ky
1994 navajo

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
There was a little resistance to putting them on, but nothing extreme, I figured it would losen as I pressed the pedal and let them relase a few times. Should I just regrease the slide? Or is there another part I can grease? Any tips? thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Jo View Post
I just replaced my well worn rotors and brake pads, following Glaciers write up. Before i replaced them, the passenger side break got very hot and seemed to stick. Well, after $115 in new parts and a few hours in 95 degree heat, the brakes still get hot. The Navajo drives a lot better and brakes better, but i can still smell the heat and feel it after a drive, What is sticking? I thought I lubed the caliper "slides" I guess you could call it. What makes my brakes stick and get hot? Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Exactly what parts did you replace for $115?

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
DeRocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
summit_69
canada
93 xlt 4x4

Vehicle Specs

yeah i just replaced the brake pads, and a caliper on my 93 explorer but since i plan on buying a truck this summer, i left the rotars. when i first replaced them i took it for a 5 minute drive and they were fine but the next day the ####ers were smoking and i could smell the burning in the cab so i stopped and fortunatly i was by a lake and i poured water on them to cool them off. its been over two weeks and they still heat up but they have not been smoking. so now i have to wrip the bitch apart again and do the ball joints, still dont know why they ####ed up
summit_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
duke16
Raleigh, NC
1997 5.0L AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit_69 View Post
...fortunatly i was by a lake and i poured water on them to cool them off.
That'll warp the rotors, sudden heat changes.

Mac Performance Intake | Engine Rebuilt | Warrior Shackles/TT Lift | Flo Pro Muffler (FP736)
duke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
94Jo
lou.ky
1994 navajo

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I got two rotors and two sets of brake pads for $115. They have lifetime warranties. They havent smoked yet, but I havent taken them on the highway either until I get this worked out.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
trucku
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.

2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Sounds like a caliper is dragging.

2002 XLS 4.0 SOHC 4x4. Frantz Bypass filter, Mobil 1 5W30.Perma-cool dual remote (2 full flow PureOne PL30001). Perma-cool remote transmission filter (Pure One PL30001). Scanguage II, Sunpro Oil Pressure Guage
Gen 4 mirrors

"The More Complex The Mind, The Greater The Need For The Simplicity Of Play"
trucku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
sjr033
Portage, MI
2001 SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Check you break hoses. On my F-150 work truck I was burning through pads because the caliper would not release all the way. Come to find out the break line had a weak spot in it. So it would buldge when I hit the breaks and hold pressure in the line even after I let off the break pedal.
sjr033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
summit_69
canada
93 xlt 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke16 View Post
That'll warp the rotors, sudden heat changes.
better than having my ride start on fire
summit_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
HahnsB2
Battle Ground WA
88 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Jo View Post
Should I just regrease the slide? Or is there another part I can grease? Any tips? thanks
The pins aren't causing the problem. The piston in the caliper is sticking.

88 Bronco II EB, 4.0L, M5OD, 4.56s, Aussie Locked 8.8, Aussie Locked D35 w/e-clip eliminator, Manual 1354, 3" PA Body Lift, 34x10.5 Swamper LTBs, Warn Hubs, U-Joint Drive shaft, OBA, Custom bumpers front/rear, 2 1/2" Exhaust w/flowmaster 40 series.
95 Dakota Sport CC, 5.2, 5-Spd(Hurst), 4x4, M1, HS 1.7 RR's, Aero Turbine 3030/Side Exit, 50mm TB, 30x9.50s on 15x8 Ultra 50 Series, 3.55s.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr033 View Post
Check you break hoses. On my F-150 work truck I was burning through pads because the caliper would not release all the way. Come to find out the break line had a weak spot in it. So it would buldge when I hit the breaks and hold pressure in the line even after I let off the break pedal.
x2- I had this on another older vehicle- the lines collapse inside, allowing fluid to pass under pressure, but not return. I bought brake calipers thinking they were sticking only to find they didn't help. 2 hoses later and the problem was gone.
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
yellowcat
las cruces new mexico
91 4x4

Vehicle Specs

if I was doing the brakes I would insist upon new rubber brake lines, and also new calipers. I also like to do a gravity bleed of all the old brake fluid. But be careful not to let the resivior run dry. Hell, while you are putting money into your x replace the caliper slides as well.
yellowcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page