1999 Ford Explorer - No Reverse??? PLZ help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer - No Reverse??? PLZ help

Can I still drive it

Hi Folks
Very interesting reading about the tranny probs especially as I have the same problem.i.e no reverse. I put my 97 XLT into reverse moved about 2 inches and then stopped. Thing is us poor ole brits are'nt to clued up on explorers it seems, after trying to find out over here whats wrong.. So this site is the dogs do da's for info. So my question is.........
Is it safe to drive the car if it has a broken reverse band ???????????????As thats what it appears to be having read all the posts here on the subject Cheers for any answers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have manual first gear? The reverse band also controls 1st gear. You could drop the pan, and check the band with a long phillips screwdriver to see if it has spring action. Check the tip of the servo to see if it's chipped. If they appear to be OK, then the next step is to check the shift fork in the transfer case (assuming that you have a 4WD with a transfer case).

All fwrd

Hi Brooklynbay...Thanks for your question...I have all forward gears..no flashing lights...reversing lights...but no can go backwards. So my question was assuming something must be broke in the transmission...can I still drive it if I need to get to a repairer, or may the whole transmission go bust ???

Thanks

Merv

It might not be good to continue driving since whatever is broken might affect other parts or could get worse. Check the low/reverse servo, and the reverse modulation valve in the valve body & the shift fork in the transfer case.

No reverse.....all other gears work

Ok, I know this has been posted before, but I have gotten nowhere looking through this vast site.
I put the truck in reverse the other day, and it moved about three inches, then felt like I had hit something. Upon getting out and seeing that I hadn't hit anything, I again tried to put in in R and the truck just revved up the engine.
After pushing my truck out of the parking space, I found that it does have all other gears including low gear and 2...
Not losing RPMS when revving engine in low gear, all functions are normal. Truck drives fine.....
What can I do, as this seems like something I may be able to fix. I priced another tranny....it's more than the truck is worth! Please help...:exp:

This isn't much help, but...

A few years back I put it in reverse and it wouldn't go, I had to give it some gas and it engaged suddenly.

I never figured out why, as it hasn't done that since, but I think I changed the fluid shortly thereafter.

My recent experiences with things suggest not to overlook smaller issues, before digging into something big. What's the condition of the fluid?

Check the Transmissions section for instructions on removing the valve body.

No reverse!

The transmission fluid is in good condition, that's the first thing I checked.
I attempted to give it gas, to see if it would magically shift into reverse, but after that loud CLANK and the feeling of "hitting someone" when attempting to move into reverse, I am afraid for the worst.
I have no manuals with the truck, as I bought it from a used dealer. I have heard the "shift fork on the transfer case" as a solution, but I am afraid mine may be more severe.

iT'S GENERALLY IN THE VALVE BODY. REPLACEMENT VB COST ROUGHLY $265. iF IT NOT THE BAND NOR THE VB TRY THE CENTER SUPPORT.

Do you have manual first gear? The reverse band also controls 1st gear. You could drop the pan, and check the band with a long Phillips screwdriver to see if it has spring action. Check the tip of the servo to see if it's chipped. If they appear to be OK, then the next step is to check the shift fork in the transfer case (assuming that you have a 4WD with a transfer case).

First I like start with a thanks to all that take the time to give advice.
Decided to resurrect this thread regarding loss of reverse with no engine breaking in manual first on 98 Explorer 5r55e. I have spent days reading everything out the on the net regarding this problem and I am still a little unsure. I thought it was finally clear to me when I read in a previous post in this thread that a broken band meant no engine breaking. Now I am not sure.

The first thing I am not clear about is how a broken reverse band affects manual first. If it is broken does that mean no manual first or no engine breaking in manual first. I have the latter condition. Like many have stated there was a bang sound when it went out.

I pulled the pan, no metal and clean fresh fluid. Looking up at the vb near the reverse low servo I saw that the vb gasket between separator plate and case was blown out. Figured I was going to get off easy. Replace the gasket and the seals on the servo even though they look OK and torqued the vb bolts properly and also check the spring action on the band and it seemed OK. Started it up and still no reverse.

Drop the pan again. This time took a closer look at the reverse low servo and notice small hairline cracks in the end. The tip did not seem deformed. Then I stuck a screwdriver up the hole to test the band spring action again. At first I thought it was OK like last time, but this time I also notice a rattle sound when I poked at the banded. It then dawned on me that the band must be broken after all.

So I am wondering if the blown gasket and the broken band could be related?
Can the pressure have gotten to high and cause the servo to hit the band with to much force and cause the gasket to blown out.

And finally I am wondering the best approach on dealing with this. It is a 98 Explorer 4x4 with 165,000 miles on it and still pretty solid all around and I did replace the vb with a rebuilt from Central VB at 135,000 mi. Do I just have the banded and servo replaced, or get the entire trans rebuilt. The hardest part of the job seems to me is taking the trans out and back in.

Thanks again to all.

@mf1234. Does the trans have to be removed to get to the reverse band to replace it?

My wife just called and said she cant back up. It is a 1999 2wd explorer xlt sohc with a 5 speed auto and around 140,000 on the clock. I pushed it out of the spot and it drives fine. I drove home about 1 mile, then I parked it in the driveway on an incline and tested repeatedly. After about the 6th try it went into reverse and I backed into the street. The following 15 tries no reverse. I am assuming a valve or solenoid because if it was the band it should not have worked again. Transmission has been fairly well maintained and fluid is clean with no smell. I will attempt the first gear engine braking after dinner. I will continue my search on this site but any comments would be appreciated. :salute:

Well I thought I posted this last night but here I go again. I drove the car last night and as was expected holding the transmission in low gear afforded me no engine braking on deceleration, only an instant rpm drop. Interestingly enough though I do have a low gear. Let me explain. I manually shifted into 2nd and as expected i got a softer start off the line (obviously from 2nd gear) and proper engine braking (ie rpm only drops as wheel speed decreases). All expected right? This is where it gets interesting. When I pulled up my driveway still in second gear and sluggish, I pulled it into 1st and walla! It downshifts like normal and more easily crawls up the drive. I am all sewed up through Saturday and will not pull the pan till Sunday. I will test the low/reverse band spring tension with a screwdriver, replace the EPC solenoid, and any other suggestions I get between now and Sunday. Does anyone know of better than stock or updated components I should be sourcing? All input is welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

New development. Wife drove car about 6 miles down to mission valley and near her destination she was stopped at a light in drive and it started smoking an barely moved forward and stopped. A small fluid leak <1/4 cup on exhaust caused smoke. Towed car home and checked fluid. Level and color still good, no burnt smell. Car is now more difficult to start as if the timing is too far advanced. There is some sort of drag/binding during cranking but not noticed during idle. Car will now not move in drive or reverse but it will move in 2nd normally. I will be pulling the pan directly and will report back.

Well I moved the car into position using 2nd gear and it has a shudder with minor throttle added to move up driveway a little. I pulled the pan an darn it there was a few small metal shavings. Never seen before on any previous maintenance so I am assuming we are into hard parts. The reverse low servo looked good and the band had tension on it so I am thinking the one way sprag let go. I will talk to Aamco tomorrow for an estimate but may be looking for a replacement used unit. Anyone have a good source in San Diego? Thanks for the help Brooklyn Bay.

nobody has any fragin pictures?? what does the band look like?? What the #### is engine braking??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the low/reverse band:

DSCN7002.jpg

Engine braking feels like the engine & transmission are engaged, and cause the engine RPM's to slow down (not like neutral or park where it revs & gradually slows down easily).

Back