Dr. Jack | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

License Plate mounted with working light.

IMG_0259.jpg

Now that is one kickass spare tire mount. :biggthump

Looks like it will work fine. Check another off the list. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jon!! Yepper, one more down, it be redneck, but had fun with my brother fabing it. :D

Now that is one kickass spare tire mount. :biggthump

Thanks Dan!! The triangle brackets actually work perfect for a stop point, no cable to hook up now to keep it from being on the ground. :D

So when are these going into Production? :D

So when are these going into Production? :D

LOL !! After the aw craps that happened, these would be a slow production line. :D

Looks good, simple but efficient,,

Thanks Pete, I just wanted something simple to work, no fancy dancy purty thing, of course I be a simple minded person!! :D

IMG_0257-2.jpg

The "hide what is underneath" bar. I had to stop because I found out again that there is an ant trail under this side of the rig, I actually had ants in my pants.

Oh no! there after that sweet sweet engine coolant! :)

I bought this unit from the same vender on ebay several years ago. It has worked without any issues. Runs air tools. When I bought it, it was $150.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air...503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48402c35d7

Its the same unit as sold here under a different name;
http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/8/ExtremeAire+12+volt+Compressor.html

I was going to hard mount it in the Explorer, but then I bought an RV. It sets in a storage well wired into the house batteries. I just strap it down in the back when I go on runs without the RV.

If you ever plan on running bigger tires, you need a rockin' compressor to air them up. I have a ARB on-board for the front locker. I spent an hour airing up tires with that.

I bought this unit from the same vender on ebay several years ago. It has worked without any issues. Runs air tools. When I bought it, it was $150.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air...503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48402c35d7

Its the same unit as sold here under a different name;
http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/8/ExtremeAire+12+volt+Compressor.html

I was going to hard mount it in the Explorer, but then I bought an RV. It sets in a storage well wired into the house batteries. I just strap it down in the back when I go on runs without the RV.

If you ever plan on running bigger tires, you need a rockin' compressor to air them up. I have a ARB on-board for the front locker. I spent an hour airing up tires with that.

Those are some mean air compressors. :D

I was planning on removing the rear seat anyhow, so am thinking of the well there, but will have to take a wait and see approach.
Yes, on the bigger tires, 35's are in the future.

I run an mv50 compressor, as do some of the southern Ca guys.

One thing I did noticed, the quick coupler on the compressor isn't the normal quick coupler you would expect on the compressor side. I pulled that fitting and put in a normal quick coupler on ours. Now I can run a typical air hose on it.

Also it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to take a 33x12.50 tire from 13psi to 35psi. When your done, you need to let it sit for a bit to cool off if your going to put it back into a bag (not an issue if hard mounted).

Also, they do draw quite a few amps at startup, especially if they are starting against the pressure in a tire (say 40 psi like on a low trailer tire). I've changed the fuse holder on ours to a higher amperage one since the old fuse "holder" melted when I used it for 3 sets of tires.

Overall though.. the mv50 is a good compressor. Of course, I've gotten lazy and impatient in my old age. .I'm using co2 now.

~Mark

I was abit worried about the heat compressor's put out when looking for a place to put mine and I read something about venting them to the outside so there is no oil smell when they're in use(?) There was a spun out idea on some blokes jeep down here where his compressor fit's right into the rear mounted spare

Attachments

• showImage.jpg
    showImage.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 413
  • 12012010132 (Small).jpg
    12012010132 (Small).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 408

I run an mv50 compressor, as do some of the southern Ca guys.

One thing I did noticed, the quick coupler on the compressor isn't the normal quick coupler you would expect on the compressor side. I pulled that fitting and put in a normal quick coupler on ours. Now I can run a typical air hose on it.

Also it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to take a 33x12.50 tire from 13psi to 35psi. When your done, you need to let it sit for a bit to cool off if your going to put it back into a bag (not an issue if hard mounted).

Also, they do draw quite a few amps at startup, especially if they are starting against the pressure in a tire (say 40 psi like on a low trailer tire). I've changed the fuse holder on ours to a higher amperage one since the old fuse "holder" melted when I used it for 3 sets of tires.

Overall though.. the mv50 is a good compressor. Of course, I've gotten lazy and impatient in my old age. .I'm using co2 now.

~Mark

Thanks for the feedback!! :thumbsup: I will plan ahead and be prepared for some of the "wtf now" stuff that comes up with doing something like this!! :D

I was abit worried about the heat compressor's put out when looking for a place to put mine and I read something about venting them to the outside so there is no oil smell when they're in use(?) There was a spun out idea on some blokes jeep down here where his compressor fit's right into the rear mounted spare

Wow, that's pretty cool idea!!!

Hey hey hey fantastic!!!! Got any tree's around your joint you can pull down???:D

Hey hey hey fantastic!!!! Got any tree's around your joint you can pull down???:D

LOL!! Actually there are a few, but I would love to hook it up to those dang goats and drag them across the catus plants!!! :D

Back