IZwack's tow rig buildup

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
This is going to be my thread for my van's buildup.

Vehicle:
1995 Ford E-350 15-passenger Club Wagon; 7.3L turbo diesel; 2wd

Intro
So this is what the van looked like when I picked it up. It used to be a prison van for the city of Philadelphia. It used to have bars over the windows. Fortunately, the previous owner has already removed the bars. Being a prison van, it has an aluminum diamond tread plate interior floor.

van_01.jpg

With a rather large dent on the front bumper:
van_03.jpg

Purpose:
1) Tow rig for my Explorer
2) To haul my friends and I to the slopes during the winter, and to haul my cousins and I to the mountain bike trails during the summer.

The Plan

1) Bumper: Obviously that front bumper needs to be replaced. I've spent some of the past few days building another bumper and, other than a few minor things, I thnk I'm pretty much done with its overall shape and design:
van_frontbumper_02.jpg

van_frontbumper_01.jpg

Sorry the colors are so off, I had to really bend the curve in PhotoShop to bring out the bumper

2) Body: The body had a few dents but a bigger concern were the holes that were left from removing the tabs that supported the window bars (they were riveted on to the body). In addition, there were also a few half-inch holes used for bars of some sort. So part of the past few days have also been spent doing some bondo and some other little things like de-badging the van (removed "Power Stroke", "Econoline" and other emblems from the back, and removed the Ford oval at the front). As for the paint scheme, I'm going to go for this:

paint_scheme_01a.jpg

3) Roof Rack: Not sure exactly what this is going to look like but its purpose is to cary snowboards and other gear. The rack will also have a ladder which will cover the last rear side-window on the passenger side.

4) Windows: The window panels behind the driver are going to be tinted with 5% film. The rear window is going to get tinted with 35% film. The windshield and the two front windows are going to remain as they are (required by law).

5) Door Locks: Since the previous owner did not have keys to the door (only the ignition), I bought a 4-door keyless entry with an alarm system. All of the doors are going to be locked/unlocked electronically with the driver's door being the only door with a key-hole.

6) Hitch: The hitch has already been installed - its a Class-4 hitch rated for 10,000 lbs.

7) Trailer Brake Controller: Nothing much to say about this other than its just sitting there waiting to be installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the plan for tires and wheels? Is there a sas in the future for it maybe:D

Looks great so far, Love the paint combo:thumbsup:

Since it's a tow rig how about some of those large swing away side mirrors?

What's the plan for tires and wheels? Is there a sas in the future for it maybe:D
Nothing planned for the tires/wheels -- I may paint the wheels cauz right now its just gray but it doesnt look too bad. Maybe in the future I may get some cheap black steelies like the Cragar Soft 8's. But thats not anytime soon.

Since it's a tow rig how about some of those large swing away side mirrors?
Thats a good idea. But I'm not sure I'll get to that before the New Years run. I will do it at some point though.

Set the inside up like a camper with a small bathroom, and a kitchen. Put mini-blinds, or curtains around the windows. Put a small desk into it with a computer. Add a high top. That would be a great get away vehicle!

whats in the rear? I believe most of those type came with 3.50 or 3.73, consider going a hair lower?

Also, cut the back and make a flatbed with a welder, air compressor, torches and all kinda tool boxes.

Set the inside up like a camper with a small bathroom, and a kitchen. Put mini-blinds, or curtains around the windows. Put a small desk into it with a computer. Add a high top. That would be a great get away vehicle!
The high-top is something I've been really consdering. Find one from a junk yard and graft it on to the roof :D

whats in the rear? I believe most of those type came with 3.50 or 3.73, consider going a hair lower?
I have not looked at the rear yet - all I know is that its some sort of an 8-lug.

Wont that 2wd diesel suck in the snow, any plans to weigh down the rear?

Wont that 2wd diesel suck in the snow, any plans to weigh down the rear?
hehe well I think it'll do fine. Its not going off-roading. Most of the roads to the ski resorts are manageable most of the time. And if not, theres typically at least 8 or so of us young, naked, glistening (of course), male models on board just anxious to push a van out of the snow -- and pose afterwards for photos.:confused:

Zoolander.jpg_thumb.jpg

I think you should paint it like this.
I do like the orange wheels :D

That's pretty damn cool...I think a Cali Truckhaven trip is in order now that you've got a tow rig:D

That's pretty damn cool...I think a Cali Truckhaven trip is in order now that you've got a tow rig:D
I've told FROADER a few times that, if I make it to T-haven from the east coast, I may just decide not to ever come back east ;) You guys have the best wheeling spots out there.

Awesome IZ! :frospecta
Its your fault I have this van!! Now get to work! I need the electric locks put in before paint.

Ahah yeah it is - its a very flexible and multi-purpose vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you putting the light bezels back in, or are you going for the "unfinished" look like your explorer? :p:
They are going back in. They were removed cauz one had a crack on it so thats going to get fiberglassed for support, and also to make it easier to do body prep.

BTW, my Explorer has a "finished" look :D

Back