IZwack's tow rig buildup | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IZwack's tow rig buildup

3 things...

1. You missed the bar tabs over the rear windows.
2. Find a factory mirror dor the passanger side...Pleeeeease!
3. Loose the front hub caps.

That is all:D
The tabs over the rear doors I decided to keep so I can mount some sort of lighting pointing backwards. Having them on the door means I can somewhat move the light to point at the right direction by opening the door to some X degree.

Ahaha yeah the passenger mirror is barbaric looking. I'll scavange the junk yards later and see if I can find a mirror to match the driver's side.

As for the hub caps, they are going to be removed - they are so FUGLY. I'm looking for the more modern looking ones that look like the ones below. Ive found them online but they are somewhat expensive, so hopefully a local junkyard will have a set.
hh923.jpg

Looks better already. :thumbsup: That should make a mean towing machine. :cool:
Thanks :D I hope so too - just gotta find the small oil leak and fix it ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just get some black steelies and some good meats, maybe all terrains?

Your paint idea made me think of Holiday Inn...

Holiday%20Inn%20Van.jpg

You should use the same Holiday Inn font, and put something on the side :D

Oops messed up, look below

Your paint idea made me think of Holiday Inn...

Holiday%20Inn%20Van.jpg

You should use the same Holiday Inn font, and put something on the side :D

Vote for me

Yesterday afternoon, the light green was sprayed. The camera didnt really pick the green up too well but its slightly more green than these shots.

van_lgreen_01.jpg

van_lgreen_02.jpg

van_lgreen_03.jpg

Thats Rustoleum brand "Professional" paint from Home Depot mixed with about 15% Acetone - shot at ~75 PSI <--- very high but the paint wasnt being properly ejected at pressure below about 50 PSI.

Did you do that at your house.
The body work was done at my house. But I don't have a compressor so I drove it to my friend's house on spray day and we sprayed it there (~5 mins away). The temps were too low for proper drying so I left it there overnight to dry and drove it back this morning :D

Looks good. At least it was not done on a hot humid Aug night. There would be all kinds of flying bugs in the paint if you left it outside to dry.
I assume that it was inside where you painted and left to dry?

Looks good. At least it was not done on a hot humid Aug night. There would be all kinds of flying bugs in the paint if you left it outside to dry.
I assume that it was inside where you painted and left to dry?
AHAHA - everything was done outside :D I went ghetto with it. This van is actually taller than my Explorer. I can fit my Explorer somewhat under the garage - but this van cant. And its too long. There were still a few bugs (gnats looked like) but the paint was halfway dry by the time they got to it.

what's up with the mirrors?

or it looks like it belongs to the forestry service now:D

Not bad. When will you be moving to the interior?

what's up with the mirrors?
The mirrors are what came with the van. I'll change them later but they work so I'll go with them for now.

what kind of trailer do you have to tow the x with
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1550741&postcount=31 :D

Not bad. When will you be moving to the interior?
The interior I will get to probably after I get back from snowboarding (the 12th of Jan)

Looks like Border Patrol green!!
or it looks like it belongs to the forestry service now:D

----

As for the trailer ..today it was modified to accomade the width of the Explorer and load tested at the local school parking lot. Everything worked fine. I got to re-wiring the trailer but unfortunately I didnt finish so maybe tomorrow.

As for the trailer ..today it was modified to accomade the width of the Explorer and load tested at the local school parking lot. Everything worked fine. I got to re-wiring the trailer but unfortunately I didnt finish so maybe tomorrow.

How much was it off? I got lucky my dad bought a flat bed abount 10 years ago, for a hay wagon, and he got the widest they made. My truck fits on it with about a inch or less on each side from the tire walls to the inner fenders.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back