Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!!

ill give u the simple version,, its a wind powerd oscillitating cavity, thats what a whistle is,, big ones little ones, they all operate the same way

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ill give u the simple version,, its a wind powerd oscillitating cavity, thats what a whistle is,, big ones little ones, they all operate the same way

Buck... You need to put it in terms that will be understood here.

Its like when you blow across the top of a beer bottle and it makes noise. :D

Used to drive a Suburban and an Excursion for work picking up customers was always fun. I'd do it and see how long it would take for them to say something. It was unbearable in the Suburban. It's definatly in everything out there, I've even heard it in a Metro.

From the 2013 Ford Explorer Owner's Manual, page 106;

Rear Window Buffeting

You may hear a wind throb or buffeting noise when one or both of the rear windows are open. This noise can be reduced by lowering a front window approximately 2–3 inches (5–8 centimeters).

Rear Window Buffeting

You may hear a wind throb or buffeting noise when one or both of the rear windows are open. This noise can be reduced by lowering a front window approximately 2–3 inches (5–8 centimeters).

The other night i was driving with only the driver's window opened and at about 40mph the wind buffeting kicked in. I've never experienced this happening when either of the front windows are opened in any other vehicle.

Anyone else?

It happens in our Camry Hybrid from time to time, too. you are taking an aerodynamic vehicle and creating a spot for the wind to go into. Sometimes does it with the sunroof open at certain speeds, too.

Rear Window Buffeting

You’re right on the money with this, RonJrSVCMGR! :D

If you guys are looking for a free copy of the Owner Guide, go to the URL:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

and select your model year Explorer from the drop down menus.

The other night i was driving with only the driver's window opened and at about 40mph the wind buffeting kicked in...
JohnnyDop,

Some buffeting from the front windows being open can be normal; it depends on the crosswinds.

Cory

Dose anyone else have the, for lack of a better term, "wind hammer" when you have the windows part way down? I ether have to keep all windows all the way down or all the way up to not get the noise. I do not have a sun roof so take that out of the mix.

I am thinking of installing the in channel vent visors in hopes that it will disrupt the airflow & elevate the noise. To those who installed them did you find a difference one way or the other?

open the back windows.. all vehicles do that when the front windows are down.. its a pressure diffference causing the sound

open the back windows.. all vehicles do that when the front windows are down.. its a pressure diffference causing the sound

Dose not make any difference at all. I tried every window configuration combo believe me. All cars do not do this by the way. I never had this problem with my '98 EX XLT & for that fact never had this issue with any of my vehicles except for my wife's Town & Country.

I had this issue in my Escape as well as my Explorer. Cracking the back windows slightly resolves it

I had this issue in my Escape as well as my Explorer. Cracking the back windows slightly resolves it

Slightly cracked, yes, but that dose not really offer much airflow.

Ive had it in all 7 of my cars. All I need to do is crack a back window an inch and it stops.

I've had it happen in every car I have owned, other than the convertible (much more wind noise, but no buffeting....)....

It even talks about it in the Owner's Manual. I am shocked folks are still having an issue with this. I deal with this every week in our service department. These cars are more aerodynamic and tighter than vehicles in the past. I challenge you to take ANY vehicle out there and roadtest it and NOT have this happen... Get back to us all with the results..

^ The gauntlet has been thrown down :D

It's happened to every car I have ever owned, driven, or been a passenger in, to some degree. I do like the term 'wind hammer' though. That is awesome! :)

Yep, every vehicle I've owned also.

It happens on your '98 because it's happened on my 95, 97, and both of my 2000's.

Yep, every vehicle I've owned also.

It happens on your '98 because it's happened on my 95, 97, and both of my 2000's.

The '98, which I still own, has no problems with only having one window down, 2 windows down, 3 or 4. I never had to play games with setting the windows in a certain way.

The "hammering" is so bad in the '12 your freaking ears will bleed. I understand most new vehicles experience this but no one has answered my question. Will installing the window vent visors help in any way to subdue the noise?

I don't like vent visors, so I can't answer the question. I just open the sunroof or put a all four windows down a little when I want a little air. Not an issue....

Maybe someone with vent visors can answer Grizz's question.

I don't like vent visors, so I can't answer the question. I just open the sunroof or put a all four windows down a little when I want a little air. Not an issue....

Maybe someone with vent visors can answer Grizz's question.

I also stated that I do not have the sun roof. Cracking the windows dose stop the noise but also dose not offer much ventilation ether. I personally have no problem driving with all windows down its the wife & kids that have the issue & when one of them put the window up your ear drums dam near explode & running the AC on a 75 degree day kills me.
Think I just need to leave the family home :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also stated that I do not have the sun roof. Cracking the windows dose stop the noise but also dose not offer much ventilation ether. I personally have no problem driving with all windows down its the wife & kids that have the issue & when one of them put the window up your ear drums dam near explode & running the AC on a 75 degree day kills me.
Think I just need to leave the family home :p

Turn the windows off then and make them ask you to move them up or down :)

Back