Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have experienced this in cars before... But so subtle that it is either not memorable or at least tolerable while driving.

This experience is both loud and not even tolerable on the drive and when trying to tolerate it, it felt almost painful to endure the pulsing.

If it were my zx7 ninja or my zo6 with LT headers at wot that would be one thing to accept noise, vibration, etc. Cruising leisurely and your eardrums wanting to pop is another. It's like the rain noise I guess... When does normal become too much. Thx

Yup, happens in almost all vehicles not just the Ex

You will find that the buffeting is more of a problem in longer vehicle like the Explorer than in shorter vehicles. As said above, crack open one front window slightly or the sunroof and the problem disappears. It's definitely not exclusive to the Explorer.

yeah i know there is not much to do about it... just insane because i've had large volume vehicles before too.

hmm... on my third row i keep those massive headrests down cause... well... i'd like to see out my rear window. i wonder if those massive headrests are that massive to reduce the resonance by changing flow.

i mean i had an ody with 3 rows and didnt had such a honker of a headrest. gonna have to test and play or see if folding the entire 3rd row doesnt help

You will find that the buffeting is more of a problem in longer vehicle like the Explorer than in shorter vehicles. As said above, crack open one front window slightly or the sunroof and the problem disappears. It's definitely not exclusive to the Explorer.

I agree, crack a window and move on with life. Not much else you can do. Every 4 door car I've opened only the rear windows on has this issue. Used to have a 98 Bonneville, that had the worst buffeting ever. Sounded like there was a Chinook helicopter next to the car.

You can try the third row thing, but I am pretty sure its all about air flow outside the car. My guess is the headrests are a safety thing. Goodluck though, hope it solves the issue. Let us know.

I owned a hyundai that didn't do it. That's because it had so many air leaks and gaps in the doors I couldn't get it to do it. That's Hyundai, POS. Piece of Sh8t.

u just happen to have an automobile size version of a steam whistle,, the colume of air wants to go inside,, but can only do so for so long so it moves back outside,, the length from the window to the front and mebbe the back of your car just happens to be of a distance to be resonant,, in fact will most probabkly be resonant at one speed or another, when it hits the windshield or back glass or both and that pressure wave gets back to the open window, it probably hits just about the time that the pressure wave is moving out,, it becomes a cyclc vibration fueled by your speed,, an oscillation,,a low frequency whistle, my suburban would make me physically ill to drive at 55-60

My company Suburban was the worst I've ever experienced this in.

My best advice... dont drive with only the back windows opens.

Flutter noise?

I own a 2012 Base Explorer 4X4. Anyone notice the excessive air, "flutter", noise while driving with one window open. Yeah, its the rush of the air but it's accomanied with this annoying flutter noise as if something is flapping in the breeze, just outside of the window. I checked around the window frames for anything loose and everything seems tight and secure. Kind of gives you a headache and it's quite noticable at around 30 plus mph. It seems to lessen if you slightly open another window. Very noticable when driving with both rear windows open. Just thought to ask. Thanks folks!:usa:

Seatbelts?

Very noticable when driving with both rear windows open.

This sentence is the key, as I've experienced this very problem with about every vehicle I've owned. If you only open the rear windows, you get this wind buffeting effect that is unbearable, and the Explorer is likely no different. Typically, opening one or both of the front windows will resolve the problem.

Probably not the answer you want, but it's definitely not isolated to just Explorers...

If the OP isn't talking about the buffeting, it could be belts- I know some have had issue... I thought I read something before about not being fluttering in the op, but I must be insane.

Wind buffeting

I am glad I read threads on this site and saw one about wind buffetting when the second row windows are down.

Just got my X last Saturday and I am getting to know her.

Today I started home and I had the front windows down due to the heat when I got in. When I raised them this awful base thrumming started. I thought my head was going to explode it was so bad or at least the back end of the suv was going to fall off:eek:.

Dummy me, I now have 4 window controllers on the door arm rest instead of the 2 I was use to on my old truck. I had unknowingly placed the heal of my hand on the rear window controls and lowered the windows as I raised the front ones.

Well I closed the rear ones and sweet quite rained. I felt so embarrassed.

Good thing I like to research things before big purchases.:D

lol :)

Trust me, no matter how much research you do, there is always something that will catch you by surprise. That's half the fun of a new car!

Anything with 4 windows, that bit about locking the windows on your kids is hilarious though

The aerodynamics of this vehicle that makes it more fuel efficient is the cause of the helicopter noises. In the manual, it says crack the front windows to help. The Explorer's aerodynamics happen to be very good. I'd rather have the fuel economy and deal with the buffeting by just cracking more windows.

u just happen to have an automobile size version of a steam whistle,, the colume of air wants to go inside,, but can only do so for so long so it moves back outside,, the length from the window to the front and mebbe the back of your car just happens to be of a distance to be resonant,, in fact will most probabkly be resonant at one speed or another, when it hits the windshield or back glass or both and that pressure wave gets back to the open window, it probably hits just about the time that the pressure wave is moving out,, it becomes a cyclc vibration fueled by your speed,, an oscillation,,a low frequency whistle, my suburban would make me physically ill to drive at 55-60

huh ??

I owned a hyundai that didn't do it. That's because it had so many air leaks and gaps in the doors I couldn't get it to do it. That's Hyundai, POS. Piece of Sh8t.

maybe back then but definitely not any more......

This XLT is the first car I have owned where buffeting is so pronounced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't have the buffeting sound, you have an issue. This has happened in every quality vehicle I have owned. Crack a front window and it goes away. Normal, end of story......

:)

Back