Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!!

explorerfan2011

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT 202A
So, I just picked up my new XLT 202A four days ago and I have run into two problems, one with the speakers and one with the rear windows.

Just wanted to know if anyone was experiencing a weird helicopter-like noise when they roll down the rear windows. On mine it is just when I roll down the rear windows. It seems like there is something loose, I don't really know, but it doesn't sound right.

Car is currently in the shop for the weekend getting both issue resolved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's in the manual, and my other vehicles have the same issue. If the rear windows are down, put down the fronts 2-3 inches as well.

Ref: pg 98 on the 3rd printing:

Rear Window Buffeting: When one or both of the rear windows are
open, the vehicle may demonstrate a wind throb or buffeting noise. This
noise can be alleviated by lowering a front window approximately
2–3 inches (5–8 cm)

I experienced the same thing on all the cars I've driven when the rear windows are rolled down.

I think it's normal as mentioned by kdog.

Just wanted to know if anyone was experiencing a weird helicopter-like noise when they roll down the rear windows. On mine it is just when I roll down the rear windows. It seems like there is something loose, I don't really know, but it doesn't sound right.

One of the benefits of a 3rd gen fella's, no 'we have lift off' noise.;):thumbsup:

One of the benefits of a 3rd gen fella's, no 'we have lift off' noise.;):thumbsup:
Actually my gen 1 (93) Explorer does not have this noise issue either. Not that it matters to me anyhow, since I have a 2011 on order, noise or no noise...

The noise has to do with the "aerodynamics" of newer vehicles. We have to sacrifice noise for better mpg.

The noise has to do with the "aerodynamics" of newer vehicles. We have to sacrifice noise for better mpg.

Yup, had this issue in my Volvo XC90 as well. Sometimes just popping the sunroof will help (if you have one) if you don't want to open the front windows.

vent visors on the windows will allow the front windows to be lowered just a crack and you will not have that noise,,

:exp:I have had my 2011 Explorer XLT for a week and a half now and so far I love this vehicle. There has only been one issue so far. We went away to the mountains for a couple of days. While driving on some back roads I put the back window down so the dogs could get some air and noticed a loud sound coming from the back. I swear it sounded like a helicopter was behind me. If I opened all of the windows it wasn't as bad but when just the one back window was open it was unbearable. WHenI put the windows up I couldn't hear anything. I worked in the tire industry many year ago and I know cupped tires could make this kind of sound but these tires had 300 miles on them so no cupping there. Anyone have a similar noise? I didn't really notice much in the way of vibration, just noise.

It's wind buffeting. Crack open one of the front windows and it should diminish. It's mentioned somewhere in the owners manual.

If I opened all of the windows it wasn't as bad...
so...when you have all windows open you still hear the noise?

like mentioned above it is the wind buffeting. all that air is rushing in with no place to go, so it bounces off of everything around it as it tries to escape and equal out the pressure. cracking other windows will resolve it...normal and common to all (most) vehicles.

If he has all windows open... and it still makes that sound...then it is not wind buffeting.

Moonroof with the shade over the rear combined with wind buffeting.

Or...invisible secret agent helicopters following him.

With the windows down the sound was significantly diminished. What little noise remained could be the moon roof (which was open). I will have to experiment with that.

Thanks for all the info here.

I haven't noticed, but does the moonroof stop before opening all the way, and then you can hold the button again to open it more? I know one car I had did that, and the reason is the position it stops at is the optimum position to prevent buffeting.

Wondering if anyone has experienced or can duplicate the worst resonance I've experienced in a vehicle...

I usually don't drive with windows down but weather was cool and wanted some fresh air but i didnt want it coming at me through the front windows so...

driving down a straight road at between 50 mph i roll down both rear windows about half way... and once the windows opened at least half way... this resonance starts pounding into my ears with noise and pressure sounding like a huey chopper. PULSES POUNDING INTO MY EAR!

close the window and gone. front door windows down only... no resonance. but rear windows only... resonance. below 50mph and nothing... but 50-60 and its major.

again, checking if anyone has experienced it or can repeat it. crazy... i rather have loud rain drop noise and a-pillar rattle (which i do) than the pulsing my ears took.

Hehe. That's normal. Says so in the manual. Its called buffeting or something like that. Just crack a front window just slightly and it goes away. EX does it, so did my old expedition. Enough to drive ya batty huh! Sometimes it's fun to engage the window lock, and with the kids in the car,roll the rear winows down and watch them go nuts. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, happens in almost all vehicles not just the Ex

Back