Cruise Control Issue - 1999 XLT 4L Sohc Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Issue - 1999 XLT 4L Sohc Explorer

Randy1999

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I know theres a ton on threads related to cruise control issues and I have looked at some of them but my situation seems to be a little different. Like the others, I push the "On" button and try to engage the CC by pushing the "Set" button. The CC dash light flashes for a split second but does not stay lit and the CC does not engage. However, I find if I keep pushing the "Set" button a lot more times, sometimes the CC eventually engages. This seems to be a bit different than what others seem to experience. Since the CC eventually engages does that still mean that the control switch is faulty?

I don't use the CC that often and I'm wondering if the lack of use has something to do with it having problems engaging - you know, use it or lose it?

Your help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that happening at highway speeds or something around 30mph?

Here's a diagnostic you can run:

Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

l Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

l Note:
If the ON switch is not pressed within five seconds after entering diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RSM (resume), CST (coast) and SET/ACCEL.

l The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is pressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the light goes out for the previous switch.

l After all five speed control switches complete the sequence, the indicator lamp will flash to indicate a pass or fail:

— 1 flash - Test passed (with dynamic throttle pull).

— 2 flashes - BPP switch is defective, circuit is defective or brake pedal is applied; CPP switch is defective, circuit is defective or clutch pedal is applied.

— 3 flashes - Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is defective.

— 4 flashes - Vehicle speed sensor is out of range or not connected.

l Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed control servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the actuator cable, verify the correct connection of the actuator cable to the throttle lever, and make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart.

l Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to Symptom Chart.

EricM9104, this happens when I try to set it at highway speeds.

Kriegen, thanks for the diagnostic procedure, I'll try it and get back to you with the results. BTW what is the Symptom Chart?

Back