• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control craziness

Hamster65

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I've been reading through the existing threads and can't find a problem quite like mine so, here goes.....

2000 Explorer XLT, recently purchased, cruise control won't hold speed. The "cruise control" light would come on and stay on when I press the "set" button but, it would not hold the speed. The buttons were broken and had missing pieces so, I replaced them.............same problem. I did a continuity test on the sensor/switch on the M/C and it tested good. Voltage test on the On and Off buttons also tested within specs. Ohm readings on the Resume, Set and Coast buttons yielded no results at all.
Having already checked everything I could think of, on a whim, I removed the cover over the throttle arm and discovered that the CC cable wasn't even connected. I reconnected the cable and now, the CC light on the instrument panel won't come on at all.
I double checked all electrical connectors and the fuse.............all are good so, what the heck went wrong?

I noticed in one of the video's I watched, the guy removed the CC sensor from the M/C before testing the continuity on it. I did my test while it was still installed. Should I remove it to get an accurate test?

Back