New blacked out projector housing and 8000k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New blacked out projector housing and 8000k

Yesterday I was bored plus something I wanted to do was black out my diamond cuts to reduce glare from the projector. Today I did it and I like the new new. I think the black blends well with the truck. Also, the pictures made the 8000k bulbs more blue than to my eye...weird

Here is how the headlights looked before the black out
DSC00080.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

Here is how it looks after, you can see the light is coming from just the projector now and not the whole housing. The glare wasnt horrible without the blackout but it was bugging me

and here are some random pics, 8000k bulbs

DSC00825.JPG

DSC00826.JPG

DSC00834.JPG

DSC00836.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you used to black them out?

high temp black engine paint I had laying around for when my old flowmaster started rusting I would spray it. Inside the housing gets pretty hot after the HID has been running a while...I was really suprised because they are only 35 watts. Worked great...applied 3 even coats

were did you get the projectors, they look sweet man. Did you just heat the glue and pull the lights apart? I was thinking of doing that to my rear altezzas seeing i hate the crome look.

yeah I heat the oven to 350 , let it sit, then turned it off. I then put the headlights in for about 8-10 mins then took them out. Try to pry open...if it wont open repeat process above. Make sure to turn the oven off so it doesnt cook your set up, you just want to heat it up. Make sure not to touch any metal, very hot !

And I got the projectors off ebay. HIDplanet.com has a deal going right now with e46 projectors, gen 2 ballasts, covers, and 4300k bulbs for like 400 or something...thats a good deal. All brand new too. (Mine was out of a wrecks bmw)

Looks great!

I am waiting on the black corners to come out.. they'd look good on yours. As soon as the corners are available, I'll be doing a Nissan Murano retro.

Maan, that looks so cool now.

thanks everyone

Justin- Black corners....hmmm. Maybe I should buy a pair of diamond corners and work some magic on them. Blacked out with LED signals. Now you got me thinking. Its not really hard to open the housing up, then just tape off and spray.

Why do you want the Murano projectors? If I could do it again, I would go TSX projectors because they spread out the light like crazy and the cut off line is SO nice.

Afboy143 said:
thanks everyone

Justin- Black corners....hmmm. Maybe I should buy a pair of diamond corners and work some magic on them. Blacked out with LED signals. Now you got me thinking. Its not really hard to open the housing up, then just tape off and spray.

Why do you want the Murano projectors? If I could do it again, I would go TSX projectors because they spread out the light like crazy and the cut off line is SO nice.

The Murano projectors have a sharp cut-off line that is remotely adjustable.

Love the look of the headlights now. They were good before but great now.

Job well done! The bidding starts at?

thanks everyone

the bidding starts never, I want this forever!!! Or until the expo dies knock on wood

Afboy143 said:
thanks everyone

the bidding starts never, I want this forever!!! Or until the expo dies knock on wood
u should make and sell them to people

Nice job :thumbsup:

hi/lo question

Does anyone know of projectors that will take H4 style bulbs and would hi/lo beam still work? My UK spec Explorer already has 4300K HIDs in the stock headlight units but I would like projectors to make the most of it. However I don't really want to lose hi beam.

Andy, if you want hi/low HID you need to retrofit your headlights with a "bi-xenon" projector headlight unit.
There is a lot of info about retrofiting at: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
and: http://faqlight.carpassion.info/forum/
Basicly you remove your bulbs and cut a hole in the headlight housing and put in a projector unit, upgrade your wiring and your done.

Bill Kemp said:
Andy, if you want hi/low HID you need to retrofit your headlights with a "bi-xenon" projector headlight unit.
There is a lot of info about retrofiting at: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
and: http://faqlight.carpassion.info/forum/
Basicly you remove your bulbs and cut a hole in the headlight housing and put in a projector unit, upgrade your wiring and your done.

However, on my 99 explorer when I retrofitted, I could not fit bi xenons in my headlights. Bi xenon uses a little motor deal that opens and closes the "cut off flap" that allows for hi and low beams. I had to cut this off due to extremely limited space in the explorer headlight.

Back