HID color question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID color question

I have a question

About 6 months ago I did a an HID conversion using mercedes projectors in a diamond cut headlight. My question is, how come none of the bulbs that I buy glow the color they show?

Basicly, I bought a 12000K bulb, and it doesnt really look purple...it looks white with a SLIGHT purple

I just recently bought 8000k, (different brand, different place), and it doesnt shine blue...it shines like my 4300k did. Whats going on here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought some xenon 10,000k and they shine nice blue. Just look at my picture.
leavepics067.jpg

yes, and im pretty damn jealous I must say. What brand are the bulbs? Im thinking of just selling off all my crap and going diamond cut because for some reason I cannot get the color I am looking for and its starting to be a money drain.

is that just a 10000k 9007 kit?

Yup the brand is Xenon.

How can you guys see at night with 10, or 12K bulbs?
I swapped to 8K in my Acura & couldn't see crap at night on dark FL roads. I went back to 4300K.

Try running them without the projectors and see if you get a color like in the pic above.

To answer your question Jason, when you have a head light as big as mine on the front, the light just tends to spread out a little better. Acura's have small head lights. Plus when I changed from Halogen's, the 10,000k bulb was my first and only selection of bulb because of the color and it is still brighter on the road than my halogens were.

A crappy camera = a crappy picture at interstate speeds.
leavepics131.jpg

12000k should be purplish. They may just not be 12000k bulbs... but I've heard it takes many hours of use before the color really starts showing.

I run 4300k bulbs. The different colors are cool looking and all but I'd rather see farther than look "cool". My bulbs light up the road like sunshine. High-kelvin bulbs color the asphalt. And since HID kits are illegal you'd probably be more likely to get pulled over if you have a deep hue. I've been behind and passed plenty of cops at night and never been pulled over. Haven't been flashed either.

I don't get flashed either. I have been pulled over and the cop wanted to know where he could buy some. Ha ha ha. It was great. I have passed cops and been behind cops also. But even if I do get stopped for them I would get off any way, just like everything, show them that little Marine Corps Active Duty card and away I go. Oorah!

LCPL DOZIER said:
To answer your question Jason, when you have a head light as big as mine on the front, the light just tends to spread out a little better. Acura's have small head lights. Plus when I changed from Halogen's, the 10,000k bulb was my first and only selection of bulb because of the color and it is still brighter on the road than my halogens were.

A crappy camera = a crappy picture at interstate speeds.
leavepics131.jpg

that is sex my friend, sex

and I live in Florida....cops dont care about **** here as long as I dont have blue lights flashing. Where did you buy that kit again?

Xenon. And I live in Pensacola, Dads house. Birmingham is where it is now, at my grandparents house....Actually one mile north of Birmingham in a little town called Fultondale.

Well after talkin to some guys at BMW and Benz dealer ships, the projector I have (e46) has some kind of "blue light" filter and really is only visable from certain angles. Just my luck, I go retro for the color and I buy the color-canceling projectors.

Thats great! Ha ha ha. I hope you did not spend too much money on those then. I used to live in Tampa. Tampa Palms, and Temple Terrace.

LCPL DOZIER said:
Thats great! Ha ha ha. I hope you did not spend too much money on those then. I used to live in Tampa. Tampa Palms, and Temple Terrace.

Yeah the lights are so much better now with the black out I did, also the 8000k is much brighter than 12000k I had before but still isnt blue like yours

And I live in the Tampa Citrus Park area...10 mins from Tampa Palms

Afboy143 said:
Yeah the lights are so much better now with the black out I did, also the 8000k is much brighter than 12000k I had before but still isnt blue like yours

And I live in the Tampa Citrus Park area...10 mins from Tampa Palms

cool. remember I have 10,000k head lights not 8,000k. 10 is a little deeper blue than 8.

Back