Ranger lift leaf springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger lift leaf springs

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt 4.0 SOHC
My ranger had a set of 3" lift springs on the back and all i was wondering was will they fit right up to my shackles on my 2 door explorer?

My ranger was a 94 long bed 2.3

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been wondering this my self.

If you have both vehicals could you measure the springs with tape measure.

measure: how wide the spring is, the distance between the eyes holes of the springs, the height, the shackel length.

do this for both the explorer and the ranger then post it.

thank you

No it will not work, the ranger is spring over axle, and the explorer is spring under axle. So even if the spring were able to bolt in place it would actually lower the explorer about 2.5 inches. And that's before the springs started to sag. The back of an explorer is much heavier than a ranger, and the ranger springs wouldn't support the extra weight, at least not well.

Well my idea was that my springs would keep it from sagging because the springs on my ranger are 5 pack leafs while my explorer has mono leafs. Also they both are 55" long

Well my idea was that my springs would keep it from sagging because the springs on my ranger are 5 pack leafs while my explorer has mono leafs. Also they both are 55" long

Just because it has more leaves doesn't make it stronger. If you want some help with the sagging your best bet is to get a set of 4 door leaf springs from a junkyard.

I realize this but the springs are alot stiffer and have a higher load weight i guess you could say, they are basically 1/2 ton rated springs that fit on a ranger. I paid top dollar for them because i hauled old furniture and all kinds of sh*t from my g-mas nursing home and i needed the extra strength. That was why im thinkin of putting them on. My mono leafs are actually staring to turn upside down. They were flat when i got it but now they keep sagging more so they are starting to turn upside down now

I realize this but the springs are alot stiffer and have a higher load weight i guess you could say, they are basically 1/2 ton rated springs that fit on a ranger. I paid top dollar for them because i hauled old furniture and all kinds of sh*t from my g-mas nursing home and i needed the extra strength. That was why im thinkin of putting them on. My mono leafs are actually staring to turn upside down. They were flat when i got it but now they keep sagging more so they are starting to turn upside down now

Even if they are strong enough to support the extra weight, your still going to sit 2" lower than stock

Would that be because of the arch angle or what?

Would that be because of the arch angle or what?

It's because the ranger springs sit on top of the axle, and explorer springs sit under the axle, so the leaf springs would be sitting about 5 inches lower on an explorer than on a ranger

i put a 6 inch skyjacker ranger spring in the rear of my first gen ex. I had to disassemble the pack and flip the locator pin. i also had a pinion shim made to correct the angle. ( 3 degree i think, yours may vary) it would have been 4.5 inches higher but i made and installed shackles (1.5" lift) at the same time. It still spring under, 6" higher, and hasnt sagged in the 3 years since i did the swap.

Back