• Register Today It's free!

Illuminated entry mod

Archetype3791

Reaction score
City, State
H-Town Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
The new X's have a nice feature, when you hit the unlock button on your key fob, the fog lights come on along with the puddle and interior lights.

Has anyone tried or figured out how to recreate this with a 04 ex? As of right now, the unlock on the stock key fob activates everything except the fog lights. Would this be easy to accomplish?

-Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the easiest way would be to wire the fog lights straight up to the puddle lamps. The only issue then becomes when u turn on your interior lights, the fog lamps will come on.

Some people have done this with their reverse lights.

You'll have to watching your wiring as well. If done improperly you'll have interior lights with your fog lights.

Take a look at the schematics, you might be able to find a kick on wire from the GEM that only feeds when the keyless is used.

You'll have to watching your wiring as well. If done improperly you'll have interior lights with your fog lights.

that's why I said wire to the puddle lamps. The puddle lamps will only illuminate if the remote is triggered or if the interior lights are on.

Doing it the wrong way is easier, but as stated, will turn on your interior lights when ur fogs are on.

If i do wire them to the puddle lamps, won't the puddle lamps turn on when I use my fog lights?

A relay setup will work better. I doubt the puddle lamp wiring can support two 55 watt fog lights.

This is true, my saving grace would be because they are LED's there is very little current draw. Since the puddle lamps fade off (they have some sort of dimming feature) would this cause issues when trying to trip the relay?

Im pretty sure my puddle lights come on when the interior dome lights are turned on.

I think it's only operated with the doors and the keyless entry. Not with the interior light switch. I know that they don't operate when the car is on/moving.

the easiest way would be to wire the fog lights straight up to the puddle lamps. The only issue then becomes when u turn on your interior lights, the fog lamps will come on.

Some people have done this with their reverse lights.

you can make it so the fogs won't come on with the interior lamps if you wired up a diode

Back