Safety Recall -Speed Control Deactivation Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Recall -Speed Control Deactivation Switch

tbirdman

Reaction score
City, State
Sask- Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Hello to all. Just wondering if anyone else has some insight / knowledge to a safety recall for the speed control deactivation switch on cetain 1992-2004 Ford & Mercury vehicles.I have rececieved an recall notice for my 2000 Explorer Sport- which requests my prompt action to bring my Explorer to a local Ford dealership to disconnect the electrical connnector at the Speed Control Deactivation switch- thus disabling the speed/ cruise control.This action has been deemed necessary ( the recall states) to prevent possibility of underhood fire starting on vehicle if the speed control deactivation switch were to "leak". Now after consulting my service manual & diagrams- I find no reference to a speed control deactivation switch what so ever. However- there is a "brake pressure switch" that is hot at all times and is used to provide redundant deactivation to the speed control servo by applying +12 volts to the servo controller when brake pressuer increases ( i.e. applying brakes- thus cancelling speed control).My question then is this- has anyone else received this recall ( here in Canada the recall is named Recall 05S28) ? If so- what was done to disable the speed control deactivation switch ? Also-the recall notice states once deactivated- the local Ford dealer will order a replacement fused wiring harness to be installed to correct this problem. If you have received this notice or had this repair done-your insight or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Side note: My 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis also requires the same recall to be performed- as has my fathers 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis. This recall may affect a lot of vehicles.FYI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya, this recall has been covered on TV too because some vehicles have caught on fire from it and have been completely destroyed, and it has happened when the vehicle is not even being driven. I got the recall notice and had it fixed at the dealer, and my cruise control still works.

The switch on the master cylinder leaks, and can catch fire. The dealer will install a fused harness.

Steve

I find no reference to a speed control deactivation switch what so ever. However- there is a "brake pressure switch" that is hot at all times and is used to provide redundant deactivation to the speed control servo by applying +12 volts to the servo controller when brake pressuer increases ( i.e. applying brakes- thus cancelling speed control).My question then is this- has anyone else received this recall ( here in Canada the recall is named Recall 05S28) ? If so- what was done to disable the speed control deactivation switch ? Also-the recall notice states once deactivated- the local Ford dealer will order a replacement fused wiring harness to be installed to correct this problem. If you have received this notice or had this repair done-your insight or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
The Brake Pressure Switch is just the earlier name for the Deactivation Switch - same thing. Ironically, it is intended as a redundant safety device to cancel the cruise control in the event that the Brake Pedal Position switch should fail.

The Brake Pressure Switch is screwed into the front nose of the brake master cylinder. It can be temporarily disabled by simply unplugging its connector (LG/RD and BK/YE wires).

The repair that I've seen consists of a small intermediate harness that connects the engine bay harness to the Deactivation Switch. Simple and quick to install.

Just had this done to mine. They unplugged the sensor on the master cylinder. The parts are on backorder until December. Rather upset about this all. Traveling blows without cruise.

I have never had a problem getting a new switch. If the dealer you normally go to does not have the switch, try another. All of the ones I have been to have had plenty in stock. You can look online too. Ford calls the complete repair kit the "brake repair kit." The part number is 1L1Z-9F924-AA. MSRP is about $19, if your vehicle is not yet covered under the recall. If you save your receipts, Ford will reimburse you when your vehicle does get recalled. This switch is only for trucks AFAIK. I believe they are still waiting on a revised switch for cars.

There is also a fused jumper available, though this should only be used on vehicles that do not have leaking or damaged switches.

The installation procedure is very simple. Simply unbolt and unplug the old switch, add a drop of brake fluid to the end of the new switch that plugs into the master cylinder (NOT where the electrical connection is!), screw the new switch into place and plug in the adapter harness. That's it.

If you can't get a new switch or the fused jumper, disconnecting the switch is fine, just be sure to wrap the plug on the wiring harness in electrical tape to protect it.

Here are Ford's instructions for installation...
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/aegerar1/?action=view&current=fsa05s28speedcontroldeacsw.jpg

I believe the backordered part is the inline fuse. I would assume that a dealer would do the entire recall if they had the parts instead of taking the 10-15minutes to disconnect the wire and do the paperwork, then send out letters when the part is in.

They can do their thing, I'm not dishing out a dime for this. I'm not buying the parts and have to go through the hassle of getting my money back.

Gentlemen- thank you for the excellent information contributed here for background & history of this recall and the fix that is involved with it. Special thanks to TequilaSnrs087 for the reference photo of the actual document for Ford service techs follow to complete this recall. Now - I can safely disconnect the brake pressure deactivation switch on both vehicles and make appointments for harness & / or switch replacement to complete the recall.Once again -these forums have proven themselves to be a wealth of knowledge & worthwhile information. Thanks again to the individuals who have contributed- much appreciated here.

I just had mine done yesterday and they had a couple of boxes full of the fuses and said they had them for a couple of weeks.:ca:

I keep getting notices from Ford telling me I need to get this done for my old Sport. I wish I still had the owner's contact information so I could inform him of the re-call. My Mounty has the jumper'd inline fuse.

For anyone who is interested-I purchased the necessary fused jumper cable and installed it myself ( My Sport is not licensed right now). It cost a "whole" $6.45 Canadian and was readliy available from the dealer.For that cost & since it won't be licenced until December- I figured I could do this myself .It truly is plug and play. But- if you are bound & determined to get this done under warranty- shop around as the dealer's seem to be more then willing to perform this recall free of charge.
The part number for this fused jumper harness is 4W1Z-14A411-BC. In fact- I bought two just in case my '94 F250 needed it done as well ( no recall notice yet). The price is right.

Is this really news? The expanded recall involving most of our Explorers came out back in August. The original recall for the F-series trucks came out back in '05. It's nothing new, just an expansion of the recall to replace or fuse all the *potential* failed switches.

There really are three simple steps:

-IF your switch is contaminated with brake fluid, you will get the replacement switch AND a fused harness. (Truck Brake Repair Kit Part number 1L1Z-9F924-AA)
-If your switch is intact, you will get *just* the harness. (Truck Fused Jumper Harness part # 4W1Z-14A411-BC)
-If parts are not available (because dealers are sitting on them), you will get the interim fix (unplugging the harness) until truck replacement parts become available for open ordering again.

Cars are another story: They get only the interim fix (unplug the harness). Parts are expected to be available sometime soon, but parts are not currently available.

-Joe

Well- maybe it not news to some- it was to me as my recall notices were dated Sept.27,2007 & Oct.3 2007.Of course Canada may be under different provisions then the USA- or simply it just took Ford of Canada longer to research data bases for vehicle & owner information and send out the appropriate recall notice.Yes- it will be done free of charge but as some have indicated in this post -their dealers were unable to complete the recall due to lack of repairs parts ( backordered ?) Since my vehicles fall under the recall but 2 of three are only seasonally licensed- it made more sense to purchase the items ( remember $6.45 per harness ?) and install it myself rather then pay $25.00 for the 2 day driving permit and have the dealer install the jumper free of charge.Yes- I could wait- and when vehicles are licenced in December have the recall done- or I might just be waiting a lot longer as parts continue to be on back order.Pretty sure it's better to be safe -then sorry. JMHO

Ford sent me the recall notice a little while back, then more recently sent me a card saying "Ford is currently experiencing an unforseen shortage of the service parts required to make the complete repair" (emphasis mine)

What, they don't have anyone in Detroit who can count?

Of course Canada may be under different provisions then the USA- or simply it just took Ford of Canada longer to research data bases for vehicle & owner information and send out the appropriate recall notice.

I spoke to a good friend who I used to work with at Ford, he said it took longer in Canada because they actually go to the provincial insurance companies and get new owner info so they can track preowned vehicles too. Even though we have private options, provincial insurance companies still dominate base insurance in most provinces. I am the third owner of my Explorer and I got a notice in the mail, even though it has never been to a Ford dealer since I bought it privately three years ago.
In the US, there are a lot mroe insurance companies so they don't bother tracking it through the channels the same way.

Pretty nice though, 12 years old and they still track it down and send out a recall notice!

Just had this recall taken care of on Tuesday & Wednesday on our ex's. Brake switch was not replaced on either ex because ours aren't leaking. Dealer did install the jumper harness on both. Dropped them off at 7:15am and got a call by 8:10 saying ex was done.

I was not surprised that the switches weren't replaced. I read a post on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum that the diesel guys had. Some of them stated if the switch is not leaking it will not be replaced.The diesel guys said this can be done in the parking lot.

The switch isn't replaced because the "smart ford guys" want to save money. Their "fix" with the fuse isn't going to stop a fire when the switch does leak as a spark will happen well before the fuse goes .... but that's their answer to a bad switch problem. If you recall, they said that the problem first was because the switch was under constant power and it needed to be fused but now the recalls are in vehicles where the power is switched (key on) and fused so now they are adding another fuse...hmmmm.... why..... cause fuses are cheaper than switches. Any way hopefully no one will have a bad "experience" from their "fix".

I took mine in last week to get it done and I was gone in 10 minutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think i am in the right forum, i have a 98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc, I had an underhood fire today, I thought the fire started with the altenator, however I took to my mechanic who stated it was a wire harness under the altenator? I'm not sure if this is related can someone help. I called ford and gave my vin and was told there was no recall for my vehicle. I also called ford to get an estimate and was told they can't quote they have to look at it first.There doesn't appear to be a lot of fire damage outer rubber to a hose connect to the air intake and the harness was also told it was not the altenator.

Back