Brake light issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake light issue

smangold

Reaction score
The brake lights on my 02 Explorer won't turn off. After doing some research I determined that it was the brake light switch. As suggested, I removed the switch and the lights went out. Someone on this site recommended that I use the switch for the 02 Windstar as Ford discontinued the original switch. I tried this without any success. I actually tried two different Windstar replacement switches and neither worked. I then installed the Explorer replacement switch. This didn't work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else the problem can be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

When my brake lights stayed on, I removed the switch, sanded down the contacts (due to buildup from arcing), and lubed the plunger. It has been working great ever since.

Check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=263098

The whole thing is a great read. My experience starts at post #20 and there are good pics by azdevildog0311.

Good luck. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

I tried this without success.

I did notice a noise from the relays when ever the contacts touch.

Could this be the source of the problem?

Noise from the relay usually means a low battery, correct? I don't think it's this as the battery is under a year old.

I tried this without success.

I did notice a noise from the relays when ever the contacts touch.

Could this be the source of the problem?

Noise from the relay usually means a low battery, correct? I don't think it's this as the battery is under a year old.

Might be the relay. I'll do some research in my shop manuals tomorrow and post up what I find.

I tried replacing the relays, but no go.

I'm really puzzled by this. I thought it would be an easy fix.

You have replaced the switch and the relays so if you are sure that these are good, then it could be the wiring or the multifunction switch.

I will scan some diagrams & troubleshooting documents this evening and PM you.

Thanks for your patience.

Good news!

I was playing around with the switch Friday and was able to get it working.

It turn out that the idiot who installed the switches had the bushing on incorrectly each time.

And by the way...that idiot was me.

BigRondo, thanks for you assistance and I hope I wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

No problem. Glad you got it fixed! :D:thumbsup:

Back