Should I part out my 96 Explorer Limited or Sell it whole?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I part out my 96 Explorer Limited or Sell it whole??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamDJClimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southampton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Limite
So here's the story. The other night, I was backing out of my driveway in Southampton, and I backed into one of the trees we have at the end of our driveway. The left rear of the car is fine, but the right side needs some body work done or a new back right side window and trunk lid. Come see for yourself though, because it looks better in person than in the pics. The Explorer IS drivable.
The Explorer has 181,000 Miles on her. She's 100% Rust free (only has 1 small 1" spot of surface rust on the back bumper...seriously!, and still runs strong with MANY new parts!

-The Explorer is lifted 2"
-Viper Alarm/Remote Start
-Optima Yellow Top Battery ($200 Value!!)
-5.0 V8 H.O 302 Motor (Replaced at 169,000 miles. New motor had 60,000 miles on it when put in by Pro Automotive in Westfield, MA) Same motor as the Mustang GT's!
-4 Speed OD Transmission (Replaced at 163,000 Miles by Brills Auto. Transmission had 40,000 miles on when put in) Shifts smooth! Don't believe me? Come take a test drive and see for yourself!
-New Inner and Outer Tie Rods
-4 New Definity Dakota H/T Tires put on back in June. Still under the 60,000 Mile Warranty at Pep Boys.
-Active Hood Scoop (Not just for looks!)
-Built-In Wired Rear-view Backup Camera in Back Bumper
-MAC Cold Air Intake w/Aftermarket Mass Air Flow Sensor & Weapon R Filter (Gives the Explorer WAY more "get up and go" power)
-Back Windows Tinted to 20%. I am a DJ, and I didn't want anyone stealing my equipment.
-Fresh painted undercarriage. No more worrying about frame rust!
-JUST replaced the front Brake Pads with Wearever Ceramic Pads
-Threw on a pair of Aftermarket Tail Lights (All the lights work)
-Custom Painted Interior Pieces
-HOT Heat for this winter and Ice Cold A/C For the Summer
-Magnaflow Stainless Steel Custom Exhaust with Black 3.5" Tip (Done by Roadrunner Muffler of Springfield)
-It had Green Engine Bay Lights that I left under the hood, you just have to wire them. I'll include a switch if you choose to do so.
-The CLEANEST Tan Leather Interior you'll ever see! I babied this SUV on the inside. Cleaned the interior twice a week. Again...come see for yourself!
-Sylvania Silverstar Headlight & Foglight Bulbs
-Sunroof/Moonroof

Now the REAL question is I need to sell this asap. Do you think it's worth selling whole? Or would I make $ faster if I parted it out? Let me know what you guys think!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 586
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 457

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some more pictures!! And what would be a good selling price if I should sell it as-is?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 465
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 465
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 488
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 479

Come on!! Someone must have something to say about this :rolleyes:

the "hood scoop" and the fender "vents"... really?!

the "hood scoop" and the fender "vents"... really?!

At least im not throwing chrome all over the car..

Thats not what I need to hear right now.

At least im not throwing chrome all over the car..

Thats not what I need to hear right now.
Repair it and drive it. It will be worth more to you than someone else. You can part it out, but what will you have to pay to get rid of what's left?

Repair it and drive it. It will be worth more to you than someone else. You can part it out, but what will you have to pay to get rid of what's left?

I feel like the price would be out of my range though

average milage, but an older model. might be worth more to part it out. and if you do, i could use those hood shocks

average milage, but an older model. might be worth more to part it out. and if you do, i could use those hood shocks

Okay, thats good to know. If you tell me to part it out and parts you'd want, that makes my day :D I'll let you know if that's the way I go.

Funny too, because those hood shocks were put on last month!

You could part it out then take it to the crusher yourself and get a couple hundred bucks for it.

You could part it out then take it to the crusher yourself and get a couple hundred bucks for it.

Yes that's what I was thinking! What I MIGHT do is if someone wants to buy some pretty expensive parts off of it (like the seats, engine with 60,000 miles on it, things like that) then I'm definitely going to part it out and go that route.

i might need stuff other than the hood shocks, but i need to get my beast running first

if it's running in the next couple days, i may also need to relieve you of the black/white painted console parts, but whats going on in the section between the radio and cupholders? sorry if its a noob question, kinda new to the truck world

Got my eye on that grille, if you decide to sell.

Got my eye on that grille, if you decide to sell.

Sounds good. I also have the billet grille that I custom painted to match the car. Here's a picture of that grille on the limited. If you look at it from the front, it's Pearl, but if you look from the top down, it's Gold. Kind of like a Chameleon effect

**I'm NOT selling the projectors. Keeping those for future Limited!**

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 468

I might be interested in a couple things too. One being that battery. ;)

:splat: haha thats ok, prolly kill the wallet to ship anyway

I am guessing you will make less money up front selling it as a whole. Maybe more money parting, but that could take months and months and months...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am guessing you will make less money up front selling it as a whole. Maybe more money parting, but that could take months and months and months...

^ Exactly. The waiting game :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back