Radio won't turn on | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio won't turn on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the response Rebecca. MUCH appreciated!

Got our 2013 Limited about a week ago and on several occasions the radio/entertainment system won't turn on. It happens when we have Sirius radio turned on and we turn the car off. When the car is next started the radio is off. You can't turn if on with the on/off button, the touch screen, or the steering wheel controls. The only way we have found that works is by using the voice command. Has any else experience this, and more importantly, how might you have resolved it? Thanks....

I have had this exact same thing happen with our 2013 XLT/EB ...I don't have a solution except I try to remember to switch it from Sirius to FM before I shut the car off.....best regards Plum

Ok, had a radio issue again tonight. (It was on Sirius this time) Long story short, the volume was turned all the way down...I know I didn't turn it all the way down before I shut it off so it reset it on its own. So no solution to the problem but another thing to add to the list of things to check the next time it happens to you to maybe get a little closer to a solution. :cool:

Never had this issue with my 2011. Have you contacted your dealer and asked them? I only had an issue with my radio not turning off when I turned off the car but that usually only happens when there is an update to the MFTS. Let us know if you resolve the issue.
Same thing with my 2012

I've had that happen to me a few times. I've fixed it by putting a CD in, then ejecting it. Radio comes on after that. Wierd.

The wife had it happen to her twice last night and she was listening to fm. This morning it was off and I had to plug in my phone to get it to work again. She said both times it came back on it's own. Didn't try the voice command but it would probably work.

The wife had it happen to her twice last night and she was listening to fm. This morning it was off and I had to plug in my phone to get it to work again. She said both times it came back on it's own. Didn't try the voice command but it would probably work.
Welcome to the Forum downhome.:wavey:
The only issue I've had since updating to V3.5.1 is that a couple of times the radio was OFF when I started the vehicle even though it was ON when I turned the vehicle off. Touching the control knob or button in the entertainment quadrant of the screen turned it back on.

Peter

2013 Explorer Limited Entertainment Fix!

Simply Press The CD Eject Button And/Or Insert A CD!

Simply Press The CD Eject Button And/Or Insert A CD!
Welcome to the Forum Boomernj1991.:wavey:
Not sure if you own a new generation Explorer or are simply helping out. If you do own one, it would be very helpful to members here for future reference if you showed in the left column profile which year and model you have since some answers are model specific. Thanks again for helping out. Unfortunately we shouldn't have to do any of these little things to get the radio working if it performed as designed.

Peter

Radio won't turn on at times

Got our 2013 Limited about a week ago and on several occasions the radio/entertainment system won't turn on. It happens when we have Sirius radio turned on and we turn the car off. When the car is next started the radio is off. You can't turn if on with the on/off button, the touch screen, or the steering wheel controls. The only way we have found that works is by using the voice command. Has any else experience this, and more importantly, how might you have resolved it? Thanks....

We are having a similar problem. We don't use Sirius, just local stations. The rest of the symptoms sound familiar, though. Our thoughts are it fails while trying to connect to a cell phone through bluetooth. The small right screen in front of the steering wheel says something about redialing. If that is the case, the radio is probably muted while trying to redial something. That would give an indication of the radio being off. Need to check with the dealer. Very frustating!

We are having a similar problem. We don't use Sirius, just local stations. The rest of the symptoms sound familiar, though. Our thoughts are it fails while trying to connect to a cell phone through bluetooth. The small right screen in front of the steering wheel says something about redialing. If that is the case, the radio is probably muted while trying to redial something. That would give an indication of the radio being off. Need to check with the dealer. Very frustating!
Welcome to the Forum ford4us.:wavey:
If the screen indicates you are in a redialing mode that would likely explain why there is no volume but it should not turn the radio off as you said.
But why is it showing redialing. Can you get rid of the message by 'ending the call' as though there was one? I believe a member posted that you have to hold the 'hang up' or 'end call' button on the wheel for a few seconds to actually terminate it as far as the MFT is concerned.
Good luck with the radio issue. Looks like a dealer visit is in order.

Peter

Hi everyone, i've got the same problem with mine and it came yesterday and then when we exit the vehicule the radio wont stop and when we start the car it didnt start too.. we need to put a cd in to start it.. we push on tactil power wont start the push power got the same problem... and finally the bluetpoth connect but when you got a call we heard nothing ?! Please helppp

I posted the same problem in another thread. I, too, think it's a bluetooth problem. Mine has only done it the one time, but if it does it again, try disconnecting bluetooth, turning off the car, and restarting. That worked for me.

Hi everyone, i've got the same problem with mine and it came yesterday and then when we exit the vehicule the radio wont stop and when we start the car it didnt start too.. we need to put a cd in to start it.. we push on tactil power wont start the push power got the same problem... and finally the bluetpoth connect but when you got a call we heard nothing ?! Please helppp
Reset the system by disconnecting the negative battery cable, wait 30 seconds, reconnect.

If that doesn't do it, take it to the dealer.

One problem that happens regularly is when the Bluetooth connection won't "let go" of a phone call. The screen stays on, but won't do anything else. It can be resolved by shutting the phone off, or just turn off the BT for a moment, and it will clear the connection.

Had this same problem many many times. Never tried the voice commands to turn on. We turned off the car so system could completely shut down, then restarted. Couple times got out of the car, shut the door, and made sure the key was out of range. Also thought it had something to do with the phone syncing when it happened. I guess it hasn't happened for a while. We've had a couple software updates at the dealer since then.

ford4us

Mine did it again this morning in -4 degrees F. Both times mine has done it it has been sub zero weather. I turned off the radio and drove to Sheetz. Turned the car back on, parked and went into he store letting the car run. When I came out, the interior was completely warmed up. I turned on the radio, and viola!, it worked.

So now I think it has to do with the cold weather and letting thing get completely warmed up.

If it is related to temperature than it seems that there is a problem somewhere in the radio. Never had any issues with mine and it was much colder than -4 F.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This time I shut the radio off before shutting down the car last evening. This morning it was again -4 F. I started the car, and then turned on the radio and it played fine both radio and Sirius.

So, at this point, I don't know what is going on.

Back