LED turn signal how-to (front & rear) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

No resistors installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Harley,
I'll try to get some photos or video this weekend.

Since you didn't use resistors, do you get the heat issue in the rear lights that were described by someone else? Maybe it was the bulbs they used?

you will not get any heat issues from LED. They're lower draw than stock bulbs. The heat comes from which resistors are used,and how big of a heat sync is used.

Okay update to this. I was driving behind my wife a couple weeks ago on our way to work, and thought the turn signals stopped working! I could see the turn signals before she would brake, then when she hit the brake, I couldn't see any indication of a turn signal! ***DANGEROUS***

Upon coming to a stop behind her, I could then see the turn signal. Odd....is it getting some weird delay after initially pressing the brakes?....NOPE! Turns out, when you're 20-30' or more behind the vehicle, if the brake lights go on, those brake light LEDs that are the perimeter of the turn singal housing are SOOOO bright, that it washes out the ebay LEDs of the turn signal. You can't see it unless you're REALLY looking for it, or unless you're within 10' of the back of the explorer. Never noticed it in my driveway since I was standing close. I was really surprised how 20' back the contrast just vanished despite a flashing bulb, when it's against the uber-bright factory LED brake lights.

I thought maybe it was just the amber LEDs, so I ordered a set of the red LEDs of the same bulb type. It helped a tiny bit, but again you had to be looking for it to see it flashing. It certainly was not going to grab anyone's attention to announce "hey I'm turning, watch out" like a turn signal is supposed to.

So before putting the stock egg yolks back in, I lastly tried one more option, ponied up and paid the $40 for these authentic Cree projector LED turn singal bulbs. You need to be careful, there's other knock off's that use a weak LED behind a projector that looks identical to the crees, but they aren't nearly as bright. You get what you pay for with these.

These are the exact ones I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/29078494597...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4630wt_904
If the ebay link is dead, the description was: 2x Super Bright Brilliant Red T20 7440 7443 CREE Q5 + 12 SMD 5050 LED Light Bulb

Description: This auction features a pair (two bulbs) of the new design Brilliant Red 7440/7443 T20 LED Light bulbs with 5W Cree Q5 chip and 12x 5050 SMD chips. These bulbs can be use for the front/rear turn signal or reverse lights.

There are total of 12 Large 5050 SMD LED chips per bulb (each Large 5050 SMD LED chip has 3 light emitters), plus one Cree Q5 5W chip on top with magnified optical lens, make it a total of 7W power.

Fitment Cross Reference: The T20 (7440) light bulbs will replace 992A 7440 7441 7444 W21W etc.

I have to say, these things are BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! Well worth the $40.....especially after I wasted $10 on the amber regular LEDs, and another $10 on the red regular LEDs....pay up and do it once, do it right.

Old regular red LED on the left....Cree projector LED on the right...

LEDs-31.jpg

It's an authentic Cree...says on the board, and the LED chip is huge compared to the knockoff ones that use a teeny little one behind the lense.

LEDs-32.jpg

Brake lights off.....Cree LED on the left, regular LED on the right....can instantly see the difference in brightness.

LEDs-33.jpg

Brake lights on....Cree LED on the left, regular LED on the right. I took a vid but probably wont' get around to uploading it lol, but up close the right side does show up fine, untill you get 20-30' behind the explorer, then it washes out into the perimeter brake light LED. But the left side with the Cree, stays a very bold bright flashing indicator no matter how far back you are. It does give more of a focused dot rather than the shape of the clear lense, but I don't mind. I prefer the red over amber, since it matches the color of the other LEDs, it's still DOT legal for a turn signal, and it has that nice crisp on/off action of an LED, and no egg-yolk look when it's off.

LEDs-34.jpg

Drove behind her again and it passed the road test. Visible from any distance behind her, and it's actually so bright, if you get down to eye level with the turn signal bulbs, you really dont' want to be staring at it or it'll hurt your eyes it's so bright lol.

Harley,

The Cree's are the same ones I purchased and installed. Did you end up removing the originally installed resistors or just switch the bulbs out? Oh, and the red ones are blinding for sure.

Harley,

The Cree's are the same ones I purchased and installed. Did you end up removing the originally installed resistors or just switch the bulbs out? Oh, and the red ones are blinding for sure.

I actually meant to do that to see if the bigger/larger LEDs were enough resistance to not need the load resistors, but I forgot. I'll check it out one of these nights and unplug the resistors and post up what I find.

Would removing the projector lens or switching to a wide angle lens disperse the light better in the blinker housing to eliminate the dot appearance?

Would removing the projector lens or switching to a wide angle lens disperse the light better in the blinker housing to eliminate the dot appearance?

Removing the projector lense would make it an even more focused dot the size of the LED chip rather than the size of the full projector lense.

The only way to make it disperse more is brigher LEDs on the side of the bulb to utilize the reflector housing more. Unfortunately there aren't any LEDs out there that will do that sufficiently. This is the best you'll get for LED turn signals.

Vleds is a very good company with proven products and support. I buy all my LED bulbs from here. Had only one problem and they replaced it quickly!! One year warranty on all bulbs and lifetime on the V3 triton. There are a huge number of forums that will say the same thing.

Stay away from autolumination. These people are the biggest a holes in the world. I got a couple things from them. No warranty of any kind. Better hope they work when you get them if not good luck getting them replaced or a refund. Just do yourself a favor and everybody STAY AWAY from these people!!!

Anyone thought or has tried to put a V3 triton for the backup light? Will it fit?

Anyone thought or has tried to put a V3 triton for the backup light? Will it fit?

It will fit. They have v3 for the 7443-7440 just not in white. So if you like red or amber your all set.......:thumbsup:

I just replaced all turns and markers with Vleds platinums. They all worked and function great. NO RESISTORS REQUIRED IF YOU REPLACE ALL FOUR TURN LIGHTS. At first I just installed the front markers and turns. The signals hyperflashed. Then I installed the rears and blink rate returned to normal..... FYI

The v3 triton have a ballasts to install and also and stick out of the housing, where do you think you could mount the ballasts at?

V-HIDS 55W XENON HEADLIGHT SLIM REPLACE

It will fit. They have v3 for the 7443-7440 just not in white. So if you like red or amber your all set.......:thumbsup:

I just replaced all turns and markers with Vleds platinums. They all worked and function great. NO RESISTORS REQUIRED IF YOU REPLACE ALL FOUR TURN LIGHTS. At first I just installed the front markers and turns. The signals hyperflashed. Then I installed the rears and blink rate returned to normal..... FYI

Resistors?

I actually meant to do that to see if the bigger/larger LEDs were enough resistance to not need the load resistors, but I forgot. I'll check it out one of these nights and unplug the resistors and post up what I find.

Harley,
I should have asked have asked here so members could follow along. With the bigger CREE LEDs did you have to continue using the resistor?

BTW, Your guidance on a large number of the posts have been very valuable. Ignore some of the comments from misguided members.

Harley,
I should have asked have asked here so members could follow along. With the bigger CREE LEDs did you have to continue using the resistor?

BTW, Your guidance on a large number of the posts have been very valuable. Ignore some of the comments from misguided members.

I'm actually not sure onthat. I left the resistors in when I swapped bulbs around. I can pop the tails out and unplug the resistors and see if it still hyperflashes with the Crees in there. I'll try to do it sometime this week.

I received the Cree LED bulbs today that you recommended and I am very pleased. The light output is far greater.

To answer my previous question about the Cree LED needing the resistors the answer is NO. I tried putting the Cree LED in the turn signal and it worked fine with no hyper flash. No resistors needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good news. I'll probably pull my resistors out then!

Back