MFT update around the corner?

brianp

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Good afternoon, all.

While perusing one of the many automotive sites I normally lurk, I came across an interesting comment from one of the reporters. This comment pertained to the new 2015 Mustang, but I thought it might be applicable across the board:

"The center stack will offer either traditional stereo and HVAC controls or the MyFord Touch do-everything touch screen, available for the first time in a Mustang. After taking a drubbing in customer-satisfaction surveys, Ford is emphasizing the evolution of the MyFord Touch interface. The next-gen system debuts in the Mustang, offering redundant buttons and switchgear for those who prefer to handle real controls instead of virtual ones."

So does this mean we're in for an MFT update or is it simply stating that the next gen Mustang is getting MFT....?

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does this mean we're in for an MFT update or is it simply stating that the next gen Mustang is getting MFT....?

Thoughts?

There are other articles on this as well. It means that future generations of Ford vehicles with MFT are going to get more traditional knobs and buttons that can be used in lieu of soft touch ones. A good example is the Touareg RNS 850 system, that has hard buttons / knobs for the Nav/Entertainment functions and the HVAC:

2013-Volkswagen-Touareg-TDI-navigation-screen.jpg

You can't get buttons and knobs from a software update. The current MFT generation vehicles are stuck with what they have.

There are similiar articles on the 2015 F150....redundant hard buttons for those who cant use a touchscreen.

I suggested they call it the "technopeasant" package but I was quickly told no.

Good afternoon, all.

While perusing one of the many automotive sites I normally lurk, I came across an interesting comment from one of the reporters. This comment pertained to the new 2015 Mustang, but I thought it might be applicable across the board:

"The center stack will offer either traditional stereo and HVAC controls or the MyFord Touch do-everything touch screen, available for the first time in a Mustang. After taking a drubbing in customer-satisfaction surveys, Ford is emphasizing the evolution of the MyFord Touch interface. The next-gen system debuts in the Mustang, offering redundant buttons and switchgear for those who prefer to handle real controls instead of virtual ones."

Thoughts?
There are several old threads/posts on the return of some additional buttons to support the MFT although no specific model year was mentioned.

Peter

Bummer! That's ONE thing I would change is have knobs for temperature adjustment. I may have ordered a year too early! ;)

redundant hard buttons for those who find hard buttons and knobs faster, more intuitive, less distracting than a touchscreen.

I don't mind touch screens, but the MFT is too slow to be acceptable, compared to hard buttons and knobs.

I wonder how much is muscle memory as apposed to actually being easier or more responsive.

I love the steering wheel controls for volume and station changes but force of habit muscle memory I will reach over and most often use the larger volume knob to turn down/up. Its just muscle memory and sometimes we perceive muscle memory as the easier action when its actually not, its just more familiar

I wonder how much is muscle memory as apposed to actually being easier or more responsive.

I love the steering wheel controls for volume and station changes but force of habit muscle memory I will reach over and most often use the larger volume knob to turn down/up. Its just muscle memory and sometimes we perceive muscle memory as the easier action when its actually not, its just more familiar

This is true! Do it all the time in my Cobalt that has steering wheel controls.

It's also the feel. I can adjust the temp. in my Touareg up or down a notch without my eyes leaving the road in a second...in one motion. Dark, light..it doesn't matter. It's a knob. I still have to look to make sure I'm touching the correct soft touch button in the Ex., instead of volume. Same for the heated seats, zoom in and out on Nav, traffic list, adjust volume, etc. Even when it moves my eyes, it's to the subject, not the controls for the subject.

As for the muscle memory, I agree. The problem is manufacturers have the ability to move things in software. Make a button bigger, smaller, or move it to a different page or position on the screen...memory blown.

I don't think a pure touch system in a car makes sense, especially for frequently used functions. Voice is too unsophisticated and slow to be useful.

Ford is making the right decision. This was an experiment that didn't totally pan out.

I think car manufacturers will over time some operations just require physical buttons versus software controls. I know a lot of learn the locations for physical buttons and can quickly turn on a defroster, change the temp, etc. The manufacturers probably thought they can bring in the younger crowd, but forgot some things require a hard button.

I solved this by mounting an iPad in front of the majority of the main button panel.. I instinctively use the steering wheel volume control now :)

Ya I remember your mount, that was slick......you should re-post that pic for the newbies on here.

Back