Limited trim specs?

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
I'm thinking about buying a 93 Limited 4dr 4WD with automatic trans and 104K miles, to replace my 93 XLT 4dr 4WD with 5 spd and 258k miles (my knees can't take the clutch and my shoulder having problems shifting into 5th - getting older is the pitts. :)

I can't find much info about the first gen Limited. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only options not standard on the Limited are DRL's, power lift gate and power sunroof. Manual sunroof is standard.

There are no engine or drivetrain options. Only come with 4.0L OHV, A4LD trans, BW1354E transfer.

Same rig with bells and whistles.

Power seats with two position memory. Mirrors also have position memory.
Power windows.
Power mirrors with heat. Mirror heat was optional not standard. Sold in Cali probably won't have it.
Fog lights.
Auto head lights and mirror dimmer. The DRL module pigtail and photo sensor are installed so just the module is needed to upgrade. why this cheap upgrade was not standard, is beyond me.
Sunroof.
Overhead console with temp and compass feature.
Power door locks with remote keyless entry.
Four wheel Anti lock brakes.
Big puffy leather seats (for us old guys)
Extra sound dampening and insulation.
JBL premium audio. (nice!)
Rear window defrost.
Trim package with running boards.
90 amp alternator for all the extra gadgets. Need to up it to 130 amp if you start adding anything else.

I'm sure I missed something.

Wow. And I thought my XLT was fancy...

And I like the sound of those seats. :)

Now all I have to do is help my wife feel comfortable with the idea of buying an 24 year-old-Explorer with over a hundred thousand miles on it. She went online and read lots of horror stories about the automatic transmission. :(

She has her own car (2002 Toyota 4Runner that will probably run forever), but she looks at a 93 Explorer with AT and thinks "endless money pit."

The Limited's and Eddies also came stock with a aux tranny cooler. In the 94 model year, there were a few internal upgrades.

My 94 Limited is going on 275,000 miles on its original tranny.

Take care of them and they will last

Oh, this goes at the top of the "tell wife" file. Although she's got sharp eyes and will say, "but you are looking at buying a 93." :)

BTW, can you fit a front receiver on the Limited?

It would be very low cause it would have to go under the air dam (or cut a hole in it).

If the price is decent, I would not hesitate to pick up a '93 Limited with 104,000 miles. That's about 1/3 of its life.

They are asking $3000, paint and interior are immaculate (which means garaged), new A/T tires, new (modern) AC system installed, new brakes, new front end bushings. It is a beautiful X.

Wow, that's a tough call.

$2500 cash would be my top

It's 90 miles from where I live. That's a long drive to find out how motivated a seller is. I'm sure they are looking at how much money they have put into it (they also replaced the stock wheels with black rims and added a fancy stereo). I think they were going to keep it, but sometimes life happens...

And you never really know how good the engine and trans were taken care of, especially with more than one owner. I was lucky with my X, I bought it in 97 from the original owner, it had 70K on it, and they had all scheduled maintenance done (with receipts). Plus it was a 5 speed. :)

And all thoughts and advice appreciated! You guys know more than I do.

Pretty much ditto to what everyone else has said. My opinion on the price is that you probably won't be able to find one, esp. a Limited, that clean in the future. Assuming it is up to shape mechanically.

I also thought the Limiteds came with the 130 amp alternator as standard.

No OEM wheels, deduct a couple hundred.

Unless it's white!.

If its white with gray, teal interior, then its worth a couple hundred more

So if it is white, grey leather with teal trim and non-oem wheels, you are driving down with $2300 to pick up a spare? :)

Pretty much ditto to what everyone else has said. My opinion on the price is that you probably won't be able to find one, esp. a Limited, that clean in the future. Assuming it is up to shape mechanically.

That's the thing. I've been looking for a while and the reasonably priced X's I've seen are mostly beat up, ripped up, peeling (like mine is), have "issues" or look nice but have really high mileage. I was surprised to find one this nice.

I think you should snatch it up. it's one of the last of the police interceptors. No wait, that's from Mad Max. It's one of the last 1st gen Limiteds. That's the phrase here -- but same sentiment as the interceptor in Mad Max.

I think you should snatch it up. it's one of the last of the police interceptors. No wait, that's from Mad Max. It's one of the last 1st gen Limiteds. That's the phrase here -- but same sentiment as the interceptor in Mad Max.
If only the Limited had that "push button" supercharger... :)

Was a power lift gate really an option back then? I can't find it in the 1994 brochure:dunno:, that's cool if it was.

If only the Limited had that "push button" supercharger... :)

I'll put it this way. *I* would pay $3,000 if it checked out mechanically, and I really wanted what appears to be a clean 1st gen Limited. But I am biased toward the 1st gen, which in my opinion is the last squared-off truck-like Explorer ever made.

The auto trans issues, I would say if you keep the fluid clean and cool, you will be ok. If the trans has never had its fluid and filter changed, then it may have problems. If you pull the trans dipstick on a warm transmission while the engine is running, shift thru all gears, then pull the dipstick, check for color and level of fluid. If the fluid isn't cherry red then I'd say its been in there a long time, and that might affect what I offer for the vehicle... but I'd also have a mech I trust to look over it too.

Azscort I don't know about a power liftgate, I'll defer to FR and if he says it was an option, it was an option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Power lift gate was NOT an option.

Back