AC turns on/off by itself, blind spot and cross traffic system fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC turns on/off by itself, blind spot and cross traffic system fault

Don Villegas

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
Hello. I am having issues with my 2016 Explorer Limited. I get blind spot and cross traffic system fault and AC turns on/off by itself after after few minutes of driving. Took it to the 2 different dealership for repair and they always say they cannot replicate the problem and no issues logged on the system. Anyone here with the same issue and knows the fix?

Thanks,
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Don.:wave:
Although I can't say what the problem is, I do know that a bad or weak battery can cause all kinds of weird symptoms to occur as some have found out. Do you have your Climate set on Auto? That could turn the A/C on and off if it's trying to maintain the set temperature.

Peter

I have been playing with the AC settings since this happened; so no, I don't have it all on Auto. The AC will turn off in a way that all its lights and display will disappear and re-appear after sometime. Air will stop blowing and sometimes you have to push the AC on again. I noticed some sort of pattern. First the the blind and cross traffic system fault will appear; then give it a little time say 1 minute, the AC will turn on/off by itself. Last visit to the delearship they just updated the SYNC. It went away for 2 days and now it is back again.

As suggested by Peter, it could be related to the battery.
Though it may be a new vehicle, it could be a defective battery, that was completely discharged during transportation and is now bad.
Get a battery load test and in the mean time, disconnect the negative cable, reattach and see if it will help.

I already tried to disconnect the negative cable but that did not help. Actually, all of these happened together with the air bag light. The air bag light stayed lit so they were able to diagnose it; was told they replaced a harness as there is a recall on it. I told the service advisor that the other issues could be harness related too, but he said they cannot fix until they can replicate the problem. I even showed them a video of what is happening, but they said they cannot fix because no issue is logged on the system. I am now considering to go to another delearship, will ask them to check on the battery as peter suggested. Will let you know. The previous 2 visits took total 5 days to get my car back. Hoping it is going to be quick this time. Thanks all for responding.

+ one more for the battery. Low voltage causes strange symptoms.

If not a bad battery, perhaps there is a ground amiss. Make sure the ground near the BCM (near the bottom of the driver's door, behind the carpet) is nice and secure.

+ one more for the battery. Low voltage causes strange symptoms.

If not a bad battery, perhaps there is a ground amiss. Make sure the ground near the BCM (near the bottom of the driver's door, behind the carpet) is nice and secure.

Where exactly is that ground? I removed the moulding (with the "Explorer" lettering) below the driver door but did not find anything. Is it close to the foot brake? I don't know which side of the carpet to pullout. Thanks.

I’m having the exact same issues with the same year and model. Taking it in tomorrow to the dealer for the 2nd time in less than 6 months. I have had the vehicle since May 2016, but everything was fine till July 2017. The dealer fixed a loose wire harness and everything was fine till a few weeks ago.
Don did you have any luck at the dealer?

Same issue, blind spot...cross traffic...ac reset. 16 explorer sport. I did replace my apim and for a sync 3 upgrade but it's been flawless for 1 year.

Did either of you guys obtain a solution?

Same issue, blind spot...cross traffic...ac reset. 16 explorer sport. I did replace my apim and for a sync 3 upgrade but it's been flawless for 1 year.

Did either of you guys obtain a solution?

Neither of the last 2 have bee back since shorty after they posted. May want to try PMing them so it shoots them an email notification and hope they come back to answer.

Hello all,
I am having the same issues as previously posted above and luck on what the problem and answers were? Ac goes out, blind spot and cross traffic fault, and a navigation system failure. Been in and out of the dealer now 5 times with no luck. 2016 Ford Explorer limited. 30,000 miles

Help please!!!!

Welcome to the Forum Brandon.:wave:
The unfortunate thing is, and it happens all too often, that someone will post an issue and then are never heard from again. Others will say they are going to have it looked at and will post results, and This leaves everyone none the wiser.:dunno:
Have you tried another dealer?

Peter

Thank you for the welcome. I think that's my next step. I've been searching the web and found some other complaints with the same symptoms that suggest there might be a chafed wire within the seat or the harness under the driver/passenger seat caused by the feature that moved the seat into position when starting the car. The constant movement causes abrasions to the wiring harness. We have replaced the gateway module so far, but we will see how it goes with another dealer/tech taking a look.

Module communication issues are often caused by wiring/connection issues and these require a good dealer that is willing to go the extra mile to troubleshoot if there aren't any codes. Sometimes it can be a bad module (internal issues).

Only real option is to take it right to dealer when it is experiencing the problem and see if they can look at it on the spot and see if there are any codes to help them. Best of luck.

I am now experiencing this same problem on my 2019 Sport, I have yet to take it into the dealer, has anyone else with this problem gotten and answer or resolution? What was the issue?

We narrowed it down after multiple trips into the dealership. We are considering that there might be a chaffed wire inside/under the driver's seat. Apparently with the self-adjusting seats, or seats that move forward and backward when the car is started and turned off by themselves the tension placed on the wire harness under and inside the driver's seat can become pinched or worn causing the issue. The dealer stated a couple of wires in a connection were not seated properly and he had to repair them. The car was fine for a while and then out of the blue, it happens every once in a while.

So I do not have a definite answer, but that seemed to help a little in our case. To recap our services:

There is a connection in the wheel well of the rear passenger tire that was loose causing a fault in the tail gate (corrected by replacing the connections). This also set off the rear fender and bumper radar sensors off ( not the technical terms).

The "gateway harness" was replaced - Twice and did not fix anything but they got to charge for it.

A connection under the dashboard and behind the stereo was replaced (no result).

Then the seat issue mentioned above and it seemed to resolve itself for the most part.

Our next step was to replace the seat and its wiring completely. Our symptoms would result from taking sharp turns or shifting your weight on the seat towards the center console.

Hope this helps,

Brandon

Hello. I am having issues with my 2016 Explorer Limited. I get blind spot and cross traffic system fault and AC turns on/off by itself after after few minutes of driving. Took it to the 2 different dealership for repair and they always say they cannot replicate the problem and no issues logged on the system. Anyone here with the same issue and knows the fix?

Thanks,
Don
Did you ever figure out the issue? I'm having the exact same issues, same year and model vehicle.
Ford Porter

Did you ever figure out the issue? I'm having the exact same issues, same year and model vehicle.
Ford Porter
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on December 15, 2016. I have a feeling he won't be replying to your post.;) Perhaps another member may be able to help.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Porter
I’m having the same issue with my 2015 f150 did anyone find a solution.

Back