2.3L Engine Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3L Engine Noise

buzzard302

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Anyone else feel the engine is rather noisy at lower rpm/city driving? Mine is what I would describe as audible when accelerating in town. Constant rpm and highway driving is quiet. It is mostly noticeable when accelerating. I also hear a lot of ticking on a cold start.

Anyone else notice this? Or do you feel your engine is very quiet at all times?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the XLT with 2.3l, and I don't feel the engine noise is bad at all. I don't really notice a difference between highway and city, but I never would expect to not hear the engine. That being said, this a far quieter than the 2015 I had before this. Very pleased.

My XLT seems to drive fine but depending on certain conditions the engine makes a "clattering" sound. For example, if I'm driving up an incline with an average load of passengers/cargo, and say I'm doing about 20mph. If I suddenly want to push the vehicle to 30 or 35mph the noise from the engine almost sounds like its a diesel. Almost like a knocking or clattering. I wasn't pushing the vehicle too hard but my first reaction was to let off the gas as soon as I could because it sounded like the engine was trying to deal with more than it could handle. I hope this is normal because in most other conditions everything pretty much seems ok.

I have not experienced this happening but I will look forward to hearing others comments

My XLT seems to drive fine but depending on certain conditions the engine makes a "clattering" sound. ..................................
Your thread was merged with this one found using the handy 'Search' feature.

Peter

The 2.3L is very capable but is, at best, unrefined. I feel it is a very poor match for the price-point of the vehicle. Especially at idle it sounds like a poorly tuned lawn mower.

The 2.3 is very loud in the XLT. However I noticed mine did not come with an under hood insulation. I added the oem one and the engine noise is vastly quieter. For about $100, it was worth it to me. However some say they got their dealer to cover it, some say the dealer says it was not supposed to be on the XLT.

I'll be adding the strut tower insulation next.

I have had a 2016 and now a 2018 with the 2.3L. Yes, compared to the old 3.0 NA V-6 I was used to driving in a 2014, the 2.3L is a bit noisy and unrefined at low speeds around town. But out on the highway it's quite smooth and it gets 26 MPG on the highway vs 18 in my old 3.0L. So, I can live with a bit of low speed noise.

Anyone else feel the engine is rather noisy at lower rpm/city driving? Mine is what I would describe as audible when accelerating in town. Constant rpm and highway driving is quiet. It is mostly noticeable when accelerating. I also hear a lot of ticking on a cold start.

I’m having the same problem with my 2022 explorer 2.3, the car dealer assure me it’s normal, if that the case ford should change industry and stop building cars!

I've had a 2019 Ranger, 2.3, very noisy, sounded like a garbage truck as my son put it. 2022 Bronco, 2.3, wasn't bad, had a clatter on acceleration, I blame the transmission for that. 2022 Explorer ST-Line, not bad either. You'll get the injector tick from the engine at idle. All 3 different vehicles with different levels of sound deadening.

I've had a 2019 Ranger, 2.3, very noisy, sounded like a garbage truck as my son put it. 2022 Bronco, 2.3, wasn't bad, had a clatter on acceleration, I blame the transmission for that. 2022 Explorer ST-Line, not bad either. You'll get the injector tick from the engine at idle. All 3 different vehicles with different levels of sound deadening.
All the garbage trucks around here run on propane. They produce an entirely different sound.:)

Peter

I'll be the odd one out, that I don't mind the engine note.
Haven't been in the V6TT, but don't mine the 2.3
But, it's worlds quieter than my 2012 Malibu was, so an improvement all around. Double the power with about the same MPGs.

I saw this thread and I had a similar issue with my 2020 explorer xlt 2.3l.
Around 3000 rpm it sounded like a rod bearing knock but turned out it was detonation, saw this on a similar thread.
I had a half tank of 87 octane fuel, topped it off with 93 octane, drove it roughly 20 miles, no more knock whatsoever,
before I put in the 93 octane gas I could get this car to knock all day long at around 3k rpm, the ford dealer said this noise is normal, lol.
Anyway just half tank of 93 octane gas and I cannot get the engine to knock whatsoever, it knocked all the time with 87 fuel.
I hopes this helps someone, the engine shouldn't knock with the lower octane but it does, leave it to ford to screw up simple things...

Back