2013 XLT Caliper Slide Pins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 XLT Caliper Slide Pins

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Gotta stop losing sleep over this one, but can't find a definitive answer anywhere. I just installed new front rotors and pads on my 2013 Explorer XLT. The driver's side upper caliper slide pin and passenger side lower pin has a rotating plastic or rubber collar/bushing at the end. It's only on 2 of the 4 pins, and the other 2 that don't have one physically couldn't as they're completely smooth to the end; and the 2 that do, have a chamfer cut into the pin to accommodate this bushing.
What is the bushing for, why is it on only 2 pins and not 4, and does it really matter if they go into the holes they came out of, or if they're reversed (I didn't try switching them, so I don't know if they'd even fit)?
I asked the local Ford service manager and he said "I only fix them, I don't build them". He suggested I call Ford Engineering and ask but I see that getting me nowhere. Also this is NOT a rubber boot like I've read about. It's actually a small rotating collar.
Much thanks!
Larry

I can confirm on the rear of my Sport, each side had 1 pin with the bushing and 1 without.
I don't remember which one went in which slide (top or bottom).

My guess is that it's for dampening vibration/sound, but that's just a guess.

I made a post in the below thread about the bushing causing removal/installation issues of one of the pins.

Very interesting. So I guess it is what it is, and shall remain a mystery for a while longer. I did lube my pins with synthetic brake grease. Not because folks said the bushings would swell, just because its what I had on the shelf and always use. A little tap on the head and it slid in just fine.

Very interesting. So I guess it is what it is, and shall remain a mystery for a while longer. I did lube my pins with synthetic brake grease. Not because folks said the bushings would swell, just because its what I had on the shelf and always use. A little tap on the head and it slid in just fine.

I picked up some synthetic brake grease as well.
I'm not sure what I used when I replaced my rear brakes almost 30k miles ago, but they were still lubed and it was just 1 pin that was stuck.

What's odd is the full bushing wasn't swelled up, just one end. So, depending on which way I slid the bushing on, it would either not install at all, or slide almost to the end of the bushing and stop. I didn't want to force it since those pins need to slide.

Oh, and I could still spin the pin, but could not easily slide it. I had to grab a pliers and pull hard and it slowly slid out.

I was lucky that the pin didn't completely lock up and just wear down the pad.

Back