2nd row in the 2020 XLT.......now mostly Captain's Chairs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd row in the 2020 XLT.......now mostly Captain's Chairs?

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I noticed some of the earlier vin# 2020 XLTs had a nice split bench second row, with a fold down console in the middle. Now all we see in the later ones are the second row buckets with no console. Anyone know what the thinking was? Are buckets better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 35/30/35 bench seat is standard on the base model, and the bench seat with fold-down armrest is a $495 option on XLT and up. I assume most dealers just don't order it on the higher end models.

Ford also provides an order guide to dealers that suggests option combinations they should order. They don't have to order them that way, but I think most dealers take a simple approach and just go with the order guide combinations. The bench seat is probably not in the suggested combinations in the order guide.

Bruce

I noticed some of the earlier vin# 2020 XLTs had a nice split bench second row, with a fold down console in the middle. Now all we see in the later ones are the second row buckets with no console. Anyone know what the thinking was? Are buckets better?
On the XLT and above, the 2nd row captain's chairs come with armrests and a floor console. It is very low compared to the 5th gen. The 60/40 split is no more. As Bruce mentioned, it is now 35/30/35.

Peter

yep; I think the captains chairs are great

The captain's chairs are one of the reasons why we bought the new explorer. With two child seats, stepping over the low profile console is the only way to get to the 3rd row.

The captain's chairs are one of the reasons why we bought the new explorer. With two child seats, stepping over the low profile console is the only way to get to the 3rd row.

Completely agree. After having the bench in our 2011, I would never go back to it.

My wife is the exact opposite. She wanted a rear bench, believes it will be more convenient than captain's chairs. We have 3 kids, so having a bench means that we only HAVE to use the 3rd row on long trips, or if we carry additional people.

I dunno about all of that, but it's her car, so she gets what she wants.

Different people have different wants and desires when it comes to vehicles. That is why the manufacturer offers 'options'. :)
Stay safe everyone.

Peter

My mom got her 2018 platinum with the captains chairs so the kids could easily get to the third row...they had to search a few dealerships to find one.....

Same here. I was looking at the Durango as well, but the captain chair was a paid option :/

With three kids, I've thought, "thank God I got the second row bench" many times. There's just such little room behind the third row to have to rely on it and keep even one side raised for seating. And even without cargo, it's just not nearly as comfy, even for kids.

You could always put the second car seat in the middle seat, giving up one of the main seats that can be moved to allow access to the 3rd row.

Having said that, when I do upgrade to the next gen, I'm still not sure what type of 2nd row I will want. Both have their pros and cons.

You could always put the second car seat in the middle seat, giving up one of the main seats that can be moved to allow access to the 3rd row.

Having said that, when I do upgrade to the next gen, I'm still not sure what type of 2nd row I will want. Both have their pros and cons.
FYI, the bench seat is a 35/30/35 split. Not the 60/40 that is the 5th gen.

Peter

We waited until the bench seat was available to order our ST. We only have two people in the house, but wanted to be able to put the seat down and have a completely flat space. With the captain's chairs there is a large space in the middle when you put them down.

I have a 2020 Platinum with the second row captain seats, would love to find someone with the 35/30/35 black/mahogany seats that want to trade... need seats for all the grand kids

We wanted the captains seats. We don't have any kids at home so using it for chid seats and hauling a bunch of kids to events and the like are not going to happen anytime soon. The most people we will transport at any time is four. Any more than that and we'll take two cars. As for the gap we'll just fill the gap with blankets and throw a piece of thin plywood over the second row chair backs and make a flatish floor.

We wanted the captains seats. We don't have any kids at home so using it for chid seats and hauling a bunch of kids to events and the like are not going to happen anytime soon. The most people we will transport at any time is four. Any more than that and we'll take two cars. As for the gap we'll just fill the gap with blankets and throw a piece of thin plywood over the second row chair backs and make a flatish floor.
Yup. I'm stuck with doing the same thing. Wish the bench had been available at the time. We don't really need the seats so much as we need the cargo space for band gear...including the upright bass.

I have a 2020 Platinum with the second row captain seats, would love to find someone with the 35/30/35 black/mahogany seats that want to trade... need seats for all the grand kids
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There is also this forum you can post that in; Parts and Vehicles Wanted as well as the 6th gen For Sale forum. Members have posted 'Wanted' items in the 5th gen For Sale forum as well.

Peter

I blame Uber and others for this. The 3-row SUV is the new taxi van.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup. I'm stuck with doing the same thing. Wish the bench had been available at the time. We don't really need the seats so much as we need the cargo space for band gear...including the upright bass.
We recently went on a road trip. Loaded up the back and discovered the space between the 2nd row captains chairs was a perfect fit for our overnight bag. Unfortunately it made getting my cane out a bit difficult, but that's something we will need to work out. The cane fits perfectly between the floor console and the chair and stays out of everyone's way while not moving much.

Back