The term "stealership" wasn't earned for no reason | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The term "stealership" wasn't earned for no reason

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
My wife dropped her 2015 Edge off at the Ford dealership to have some recall work done. I picked her up and never went into the building. They must have looked at her like she was a roasted chicken. They texted her to say that she needed nearly $1,800 in maintenance done. The vehicle has 100k miles on it and runs perfectly fine. All the items they listed was tagged "Needs immediate attention" in bold red letters. Then they hit you with shop charges that amount to almost 12% of the invoice amount. So all in the maintenance items would have been well over $2k.

The one charge that really chapped my arse was for replacing the cabin air filter. I just replaced this filter about six months ago. My wife works from home full time, as do I, so we don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles. We never drive on dusty roads and living in the Mid Atlantic area, we have zero dust issues at all. That filter might have 4k miles on it at most. It doesn't need to be changed. It literally took me two minutes to change the filter and I paid $10 for it at NAPA. The stealership wanted $80 to replace it! Then they wanted $700 to change the spark plugs. I know the upper intake has to be removed but it isn't THAT big of a job. All together there was six maintenance items they recommended to be completed..... for over $2k! I wonder, would they have done this if I had dropped off the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+1 for this! not a big fan of the dealership... wonder what their extra profits are from all of these!:dunno:

My wife dropped her 2015 Edge off at the Ford dealership to have some recall work done. I picked her up and never went into the building. They must have looked at her like she was a roasted chicken. They texted her to say that she needed nearly $1,800 in maintenance done. The vehicle has 100k miles on it and runs perfectly fine. All the items they listed was tagged "Needs immediate attention" in bold red letters. Then they hit you with shop charges that amount to almost 12% of the invoice amount. So all in the maintenance items would have been well over $2k.

The one charge that really chapped my arse was for replacing the cabin air filter. I just replaced this filter about six months ago. My wife works from home full time, as do I, so we don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles. We never drive on dusty roads and living in the Mid Atlantic area, we have zero dust issues at all. That filter might have 4k miles on it at most. It doesn't need to be changed. It literally took me two minutes to change the filter and I paid $10 for it at NAPA. The stealership wanted $80 to replace it! Then they wanted $700 to change the spark plugs. I know the upper intake has to be removed but it isn't THAT big of a job. All together there was six maintenance items they recommended to be completed..... for over $2k! I wonder, would they have done this if I had dropped off the vehicle?
stealership is being polite. Down right crooks. $700 to change the spark plugs. My head would have exploded.

The one item I told them complete was a coolant flush for $180. Considering the price of Motorcraft antifreeze I figured this wasn't too much of a gouging. Plus, this is a job I don't mind getting out of doing.

Anytime you go to the dealer, expect for them to financially sodomize the customer. Put your pants on backwards so it is just a zipper drop.

no wonder people go longer between maintainence now... its not 100% laziness (although its a factor), ut also for the people who dont have the know how/space/desire to get their hands slightly dirty and change oil dont want to go to dealer becaue of all of this, and the quick lube places suck too (for a different reason)... sometimes i wonder, if i wasnt a car person, would i even maintain my vehicle with this pricing??? and would i give up gas for electrons?? who knows ;)

The odd thing is they never put maintenance for the PTU on the list. It needs the most frequent maintenance after oil changes.

:dunno::crazy: maybe trying to upsell you on the stuff that wont break, and not make you do the stuff that will break so thst it fails sooner and they think theyll have someone else come back to the dealer to get the work done when it fails... its nearly impossible to see into the mind of a dealership and understand/rationalize it!

Yeah, you have to educate your loved ones to "just say no", lol. Put simply, I tell anyone who asks, if you take your vehicle in for problem X, do not have anything else done until you talk to me. Even if something else does need done, the stealership is usually the most expensive route available towards a resolution, and sometimes they aren't competent or honest either!

the mind of a dealership is a great enigma:confused2:

Like the 4.0 lol
I would like to know what the engineers were thinking when they designed the timing components of that engine. They are probably the same engineers who made the water pump an internal design for the 3.5L/3.7L transverse mounted engines.

I would like to know what the engineers were thinking when they designed the timing components of that engine. They are probably the same engineers who made the water pump an internal design for the 3.5L/3.7L transverse mounted engines.
Lmao

I am 68 years young. Did auto repair for many years. I remember if you wanted to drive across the country in your 60's car you could carry all the spare parts you may need like water,plugs,points, etc etc. Try that with today's cars. I don't need a car telling me when to use 4wd, when to service. BUT Some people do.🙄

I figure they can't be that stupid naturally, they had to go through training and I doubt anyone could figure out what they were thinking cause it's not possible to get your head that far up the other end.

I am 68 years young. Did auto repair for many years. I remember if you wanted to drive across the country in your 60's car you could carry all the spare parts you may need like water,plugs,points, etc etc. Try that with today's cars. I don't need a car telling me when to use 4wd, when to service. BUT Some people do.🙄
Todays cars can go 3,000 miles without needing spare parts. I’d get in my Kia, or Mounty and drive to California without any real concern. The Mounty would just need an oil change.

They just tried to do the same thing to my mother, sounds like the same list. I'm very glad she had the gumption to call me verify "necessity." The team of lowlife scum (*we should also not forget this is parent company authorized scum*) whom I spoke with on the phone were not feeling very good about themselves by the time I chose to take pity on them, when I honestly thought I might have heard a tear, and end what I am sure amounted to an essentially pointless effort/energy expenditure on my part by the end of the day; but the fact of the matter is they should be ecstatic that I live 2hrs away and had no other reason available at the moment to piggyback justifying the round trip for an in person, shall we say "visitation." That is all I have to say about that. ~≈≡ℳ³³³≡≈~

Well, gee. I was going to post about my neighbor taking his Tacoma in for a free oil change and being quoted $6800 for what the dealership thought his 15 year old truck needed, but after that super tough Ford based forum initial post with a moniker extolling the virtues of another vehicle brand, I'll just leave it alone.😃

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, unfortunately I doubt changing brand changes this S.O.P. in any way.
Well, gee. I was going to post about my neighbor taking his Tacoma in for a free oil change and being quoted $6800 for what the dealership thought his 15 year old truck needed, but after that super tough Ford based forum initial post with a moniker extolling the virtues of another vehicle brand, I'll just leave it alone.😃

Back