How Much Does Your Wheel And Tire Combo Weigh? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Much Does Your Wheel And Tire Combo Weigh?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

160 lbs eh... Well just think of it as permanently driving around with another person :D

IZwack said:
160 lbs eh... Well just think of it as permanently driving around with another person :D

It's worse because it's part of the rotating assembly.

jfman said:
It's worse because it's part of the rotating assembly.
Ok fine, a person inside one of your tires :D

IZwack said:
Ok fine, a person inside one of your tires :D

Or a quarter of a person in each tire - although that would probably be a little messy. :p

since we're talking about unsprung weight, anyone know what the cobra r's (or something comparable) weigh with a decent street tire on them...

I'm looking to lose a little weight in this department while adding the looks of sporting 17's or 18's
thx

flyguy12 said:
since we're talking about unsprung weight, anyone know what the cobra r's (or something comparable) weigh with a decent street tire on them...

I'm looking to lose a little weight in this department while adding the looks of sporting 17's or 18's
thx
My old Cobra R's with 255/50 and 275/50 17's weighed about the same as stock wheels and stock 235/75's. I remember carrying one in one hand and one in the other i could not tell a difference.

Well, to save weight you could always let some air out of your tires. If you take just 10lbs out of each tire, that can save you 40lbs.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's an old joke, but still a good one :p

DCExplorer said:
Well, to save weight you could always let some air out of your tires. If you take just 10lbs out of each tire, that can save you 40lbs.

What really??????????????????

back when i had 35's and 15x10" steel wheels they weighed around 110 lbs a piece. i now stepped up to a larger heavier tire but went with a lighter rim so i figure it weighs about the same. just picking one up then the other i couldn't really tell the difference.

aye I just got an 02 avalanche with 81k miles on it! how much do you think 26inch rims weigh! I wanna get some but I heard they will make my transmission go out??? does anyone know? let me know what yall think? thanks!!

aye I just got an 02 avalanche with 81k miles on it! how much do you think 26inch rims weigh! I wanna get some but I heard they will make my transmission go out??? does anyone know? let me know what yall think? thanks!!

Your on the wrong forum buddy :D :salute:

Check to see what gears your avalanche came with. If ti came with low gears, you may want to put some higher ones in there to compensate for your 26's.

Lots
I guesstimate about 75-80#
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ on American Racing 15x8 steelies

Stock 1998 15" chromed wheels and 235/75 tires were 53.5 pounds.

Stock 95 Cobra wheels and 255/60/17's were 58.5 pounds.

Moven M13 18x9" wheels and 265/60/18's were 72 pounds.

Now I have 255/60/18 Scorpions on those 18's and the weight is about 68 pounds.

Try to keep the weight under 60 pounds or so. Factory 17" rims are fairly light, most aftermarket wheels are rather heavy, because they are cheaper made cast wheels. High dollar forged wheels can weigh easily 5-10 pounds less per wheel.

On my Explorer, not sure.

On my Paseo...
15x7 Enkei RPF1 = 9½ each
195-50-15 Firestone Firehawk INDY 500 = 19 pounds each

snicker.gif

HI, I know this is an old thread, but same topic...
Swap my tires, stock (2016 Sport) rims and tires are 65 lbs, my winter ones (after market) are 55 lbs.
Don't see much difference going from summer to winter, but I feel a difference when I put back the summer ones.

Stock should be well under 60lbs, 55lbs is probably about there.

My helo wheels are about 30 lbs each and I think my AT tires are 40 lbs each.

Those are heavy wheels, the tires are a decent weight.

My old 18's were about 32lbs each, cheap brand wheels. I have some used forged 17's to use next, each is 22lbs, and the 275/55 tires are about 36lbs each.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Falken Wildpeak 285/75/16 Load Range E. On standard 16" rims, just shy of 90lbs. Have stupid thick sidewalls (6-ply I think) plus the 10 ply on the tread.

I have a picture of them somewhere where the tires are on their sides shoved under my Explorer. Sidewalls didn't even flex with half the weight of the vehicle on them. I put a locker in the rear end with those on and within 1 year of casual use (less than 2k miles), I blew the pinion bearing.

An ongoing joke with my friends is that my tires are so heavy, they generate their own gravitational pull. :laugh:

Back