• Register Today It's free!

My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
I figure I'll just do this so I can track my own motions and make sure I cover everything. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a list of what I've gathered so far:

M5OD and related wiring from 1990 Mazda Navajo
ECM from 1990 Mazda Navajo
Starter from 1990 Mazda Navajo
Pedal assembly (complete)
New Master cylinder
New Slave cylinder
New Pilot bushing
New Throwout bearing
New Clutch kit (Valeo)
New Flywheel
Floor plate
Shifter assembly

I went to replace the three rubber plugs on the back of the transmission, but they've already been replaced by the Dorman metal plugs, so that saves me a few minutes.

First step (tonight) is to swap the pedal assembly. Almost every conversion I read said the pedal assembly is the hard part, so I'm going to knock that out tonight so I won't have to spend most of my Saturday fighting to get it swapped out. If I have time left tonight I'll probably just rebuild a window motor or two. I don't want to start pulling a transmission only to not get back to it for a few days.

I guess I'll go get started. This was supposed to be a reasonable mode of procrastination but it didn't take as long as I'd hoped. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can just swap the manual pedals into your existing pedal hangar/dash brace. Saves you the work of pulling the dash out... You'll have to unbolt the e-brake pedal assembly and swing it down out of the way, and may have to disconnect and pull the large main harness bulk head connector out of the fire wall to clear the way to slide the clutch pedal in... May be less work to pull the dash for you... I didn't want to mess with it. I used '90 ranger pedals in my conversion, and now wish that the larger/later explorer/ranger pedals were available when I did my conversion.

You'll soon find that the 1992s had a one year only clutch master and line. I had the get a 1992 master, but was able to get the older clutch line to work by heating it up and re-bending it.

Ooh- I was very unaware of that! Hopefully I can get it to work- I'm elbows deep in the swap right now. It threatened to rain so I took a break. The A4LD is almost ready to come out. The exhaust system is falling apart so I'm going to look up a cheap catback system. All the way to the back end of the cat is fine, but it's rusting through as far forward as the midpipe flange.

Going to look at exhaust options then get back to it.

Oh- and as far as the pedals... in the midst of getting pissed off and throwing things in the process of swapping the pedals into my current housing without disassembling the dash... I put the auto brake pedal back in... so I have to pull it all back apart and do it all over again. :(

I'm stuck. One of the top bolts on the A4LD is seized. I've tried every extraction technique I could think of to get the damn thing out but have had zero luck. I'm currently at three hours on the one bolt. I swear I'm ready to burn this damn Ex to the ground.

I'm going to try to find someone who will weld a socket to the head of the bolt and I'll take it from there.

Are you using a 6 point socket on a half inch drive with universal and a hell of a long extension?

Universal what?
I'm using a 6pt socket with a few extensions and the ratchet coming through the floor plate opening, with half a floor jack handle on the ratchet.
I also tried wrenches from under the hood, a breaker bar from under the hood, and a 1/2" drive ratchet from under the hood (wouldn't fit, though).

Since you tried a "wrench".. I'm assuming its one of the upper bolts..

Normally, I pull them from under the truck.. I use my 3ft extension, an impact universal joint, and my impact gun..

~Mark

This isn't coming out. It's stripped. I'm on the verge of pulling the engine to better access the bolt. I frikkin hate **** like this.

Looks like you are on the path to loving a 5speed.

I fell in love with my explorer again after the 5speed swap. Good luck.

I'll update as soon as I get past the last bellhousing bolt.

i two want to do this but dont really have the money to yet and i dont really like 4x4 with a stick but its down to this or a 700 trans.so im subscribing also

Did you happen to take any pics? I think a lot of people could use a good how-to on this (including myself :thumbsup:)

you think thats a pain? lol

i just spent 3 days trying to bleed the clutch.

maybe put some JB weld in an old socket and then on the bolt? better then trying to weld in that tight space.

I want to know how the computer swap goes. Im still running the auto tranny computer.

Lifeguard- I haven't had a chance to get back on it- landlord doesn't allow for major wrenching at my rental house. (Just another thing pushing me to buy.)

burns- the ECM swap takes all of maybe ten minutes...

Well does all the current wireing just connect up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no the wiring pins locations are different for a few wires, the automatic also has a few additional wires over the 5 speed, most of the wiring changes will be at the transmission harness only however.

You need to look at the EEC pinout for your auto computer and the new 5 speed computer, you may need to make a couple of changes.

the clutch 3 position bypass switch is a snap however, the automatic just has a simple jumper plugged into the harness

cut the head off the bolt, grind it flat, remove the trans, then deal with it, with the stud sticking out and no transmission it should be fairly easy to extract........

Back