My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just scored a replacement intake tube. Going to swap it out in a moment and drive it to work tomorrow. Still need to install the passenger seat, center console, and kick panels, but that's no rush.

I haven't had a chance- been working and preparing for my trip to Mexico. I didn't even get to install the air tube tonight, which takes all of five minutes. I do hope to get it all finished before I leave Saturday but it's a very low priority, at least until I return from my vacation.

I installed the air tube and drove it a little bit more tonight. I'll drive it to work in the morning and see how it does for distances longer than half a mile. I almost broke the shifter- going from my Kenworth at work with a LOOOOONG throw to this thing is a crazy huge difference. I'm sure the brand new bushings and cover (at Anime's recommendation- thanks for that, man!) are what makes it so great. I was hoping to figure out a way to make a short throw shifter because my Ranger shifter was sloppy. I guess I just needed to rebuild it!

Thanks for all the information, everyone- Foxracin, I'm planning to do that jumper soon and I'll let you know how it works out for me.

I had a Pro-5.0 shifter in my 89 Crown Victoria station wagon. That's a NIIICE shifter.

I returned from Mexico yesterday. Replaced the throttle position sensor, which instantly improved the driveability. Tonight I'm going to clean it up and finish installing the interior, then I'll dig into the 4x4 wiring tomorrow.

The oil pressure and oil level wires on the transmission harness are stripped at the plug and wound around each other. I'm going to either disassemble and repair the plug or get one at the junk yard and splice it in Tuesday. I also need to reattach the engine-to-firewall ground to the block, likely also Tuesday. Plenty of small steps left, but it's certainly coming along.

It's in desperate need of a power steering pump. I'm planning to run a Saginaw and feed the low pressure side through the old transmission cooler. Possibly this weekend.

Woot! It's all officially back together!
I ended up permanently grounding the red/white wire until I can get my own diagram and analyze how I want to handle it. No offense, but not knowing exactly which wires do what and getting conflicting answers I figured I'd go the safe route. It now has 4LO.

I also ran the antenna wire for my CB while I had things torn apart.

I have a laundry list of things to do now, but the transmission swap is complete and I am absolutely thrilled with the results.

Here is the diagram for you to look at. Splicing the r/w wire into the r/lb will be jsut like factory on a manual trans Explorer.

41791458.jpg

Is that also applicable to a '92? It seems like the most random **** on these things tends to be year-specific.

This thread is going to be a great source of info for me when I do my manual swap. Mine will be a little different being a 2nd gen. But, being it is a 95, I am OBD1 like yours. The electronics/wiring are what I am going to have trouble with, I might be asking some of you a few questions when I get around to this, so Thank You in advance! I did get a message from Henson Performance, and he cant flash a program, BUT, can install a pre-programmed chip to ignore the transmission altogether. I just have to figure out which is more cost effective.

You can just swap the manual pedals into your existing pedal hangar/dash brace. Saves you the work of pulling the dash out... You'll have to unbolt the e-brake pedal assembly and swing it down out of the way, and may have to disconnect and pull the large main harness bulk head connector out of the fire wall to clear the way to slide the clutch pedal in.

Wish i'd seen that BEFORE spending two days TRYING to pull the pedal support just to find out it takes less than an hour to slide them off.

Thanks everyone for your help that participated in this thread. i will have the pedals in my explorer tomorrow.

Nice! It's all downhill once those pedals are done. Just make sure your master cylinder is year specific. Somehow they changed a lot.

whats the 2 2 wire plugs on the tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do i bypass those and just make my clutch lockout work? So i can start it by clutch pressed only. Would i need either of those plugged in?

Back