vacuum line plugged with a screw, need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vacuum line plugged with a screw, need help

Liquidfx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Mazda B4000 SE
Ok, so I got this truck in January and it has a vacuum line plugged with a screw in it. I have no clue where the line is supposed to go.

229644_2136155636481_1023803408_2442762_6122863_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so I got this truck in January and it has a vacuum line plugged with a screw in it. I have no clue where the line is supposed to go.

229644_2136155636481_1023803408_2442762_6122863_n.jpg

Assuming the hose has not been shortened ... do a 'radius search' moving the hose in any and all directions from the point where it is connected to the intake. Somewhere within that 'reach' will be a connector that is lonely. Unless someone has removed something from underhood.
If you can, take a wider angle picture that shows more of the available 'things'..
tom

came up with nothing on the radius search, it does not look like an oem vacuum line, more like a clear rubber tube

285146_2138147846285_1023803408_2445703_7143217_n.jpg

I don't know about 2nd gens, but on first gens there were vacuum port that were just plugged off. Over the years the plugs break/blow off.

Most people don't have caps at the thouse so a hose with screw is just easier to find/install than vacuum caps.

~Mark

well I was hopping for it to go to my 4x4 vacuum line or fix my air vents that only blow on defrost since neither of those two things work

Is there a 'tree' on the firewall, sort of near the power brake booster? Most all FoMoCo vehicles had a plastic tree that had multiple ports for all vacuum operated things. The large hose that runs from the intake to the booster in your picture generally would connect to the tree rather than directly to the booster. The tree would have a connection to the vacuum reservoir, a largish plastic chamber stuck wherever they could find it, which in turn was 'check valved' such that when manifold vacuum dropped due to lead footing the throttle, there would still be vacuum to operate the heater mode flap, the power brakes, etc. My '85 that has a vacuum operated EGR. Period. Has a vacuum reservoir hidden under the air cleaner box.
If you poke around under the hood you should be able to find a vacuum line diagram showing all things vacuum, and how they are connected. I found a GIF file, but don't know how or if it can be stuffed in here... It DOES show a multi-ported connector that is between the intake manifold and the brake booster.
I think someone has 'adjusted' the vacuum lines, and disconnected the heater control vacuum.
tom

came up with nothing on the radius search, it does not look like an oem vacuum line, more like a clear rubber tube

285146_2138147846285_1023803408_2445703_7143217_n.jpg

see the small vacuum fitting on the throttle body? there should be a vacuum hose going from there to the little electric device right to the left of the dpfe in the picture-then a hose going from this to your empty hose. On mine one hose slides into the other--I do not know if this is correct but it works--

I think this is part of the evap system--not sure

I will get a picture of mine right quick. just give me a minute

So it's probably a replaced intake, or the cap fell off and the PO capped it off like so.

Look under the battery tray, there should be a vac line going to the evap stuff there. I know I have a vac line from the manifold to the evap under the battery on my 95 B2300 and its pretty dry rotted and could use being replaced. Yours could of dry rotted and just got plugged instead of replaced.

My truck has a splitter there...

For the vacuum lines going to the EGR valve and the Evap valve under the battery as well...If you want pics let me know...

Back