3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

we really need a lockout switch for the power 3rd row

No matter what I load into the back, it always manages to hit one of the switches and a seat ends up getting jammed. I've done it 3 times in the last 2 days.

Thinking about going to a car stereo place and seeing if they can put one in. In the meantime, I have cardboard taped over the switches and I hope it works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No matter what I load into the back, it always manages to hit one of the switches and a seat ends up getting jammed. I've done it 3 times in the last 2 days.

Thinking about going to a car stereo place and seeing if they can put one in. In the meantime, I have cardboard taped over the switches and I hope it works.
There have been several posts on this before. All that is really required is a cover for the switches to prevent them from being accidently activated.

there have been several posts on this before. All that is really required is a cover for the switches to prevent them from being accidently activated.

+1

there have been several posts on this before. All that is really required is a cover for the switches to prevent them from being accidently activated.

+2

In the Interceptor Utility that switch pack is used for lighting.

I do know that the Police Advisory Board told the Engineers that 3rd row switch pack is too obtrusive and will get caught on gear being removed from the back area so they were in the process of designing a recessed switch pack that is backlit.

Lets hope that new design makes it to the retail Explorer

Frustration is starting to set in...

I do know that the Police Advisory Board told the Engineers that 3rd row switch pack is too obtrusive and will get caught on gear being removed from the back area so they were in the process of designing a recessed switch pack that is backlit.

Recessed with a cover is 100% necessary. We've only had lots of cargo back there about 5 times and one of the buttons was touched 3 times already. The buttons need to be backlit too. Last night my brother loaded his hockey bag and it hit one of the buttons and boom the seats started moving. I then yelled for him to hit the Stow button but he couldnt see which button was Stow because the Cargo light isnt bright enough.

What if you had fragile cargo, i.e. a lamp or perhaps a plant or worse, a full gas can and the seat moved enough (before auto-reversing) to cause damage to the cargo or the interior.

Could Ford be liable for the damage since the design was not implemented properly for what the space would be used for?

To me thats like designing windows that dont close all the way. When i first started on this board i read stories about the button being hit but i honestly didnt think it would happen as often as it is. A lockout swith would have worked too. This is one of those technologies that causes more problems than the convenience it provides. At this point i'd rather flip them manually. Its simple and takes two seconds to do.

no matter what i load into the back, it always manages to hit one of the switches and a seat ends up getting jammed. I've done it 3 times in the last 2 days.

Thinking about going to a car stereo place and seeing if they can put one in. In the meantime, i have cardboard taped over the switches and i hope it works.

+3

Probably not all that difficult to pull the switch out and use the hole to fish a cable to another less obtrusive location for the lockout swith ... ?

Cargo light back lite anythingwould help.

That would be awesome. I had the rear area full of items from a Home Depot run sitting on a MacNeil Cargo Liner when I shifted a box hitting the Fold Switch. All Hell broke loose. I was helpless to stop the chaos. It took me 10-minutes to un-jam everything. I was pissed. If there isn't a mod soon, I'll recess it myself.

That would be awesome. I had the rear area full of items from a Home Depot run sitting on a MacNeil Cargo Liner when I shifted a box hitting the Fold Switch. All Hell broke loose. I was helpless to stop the chaos. It took me 10-minutes to un-jam everything. I was pissed. If there isn't a mod soon, I'll recess it myself.
I sometimes carry my dog back there and now I'm getting really concerned about the possibility of the switch accidently being pushed and seats activating. It's a good thing they won't work while you're driving or if the liftgate is closed.

imag0171ch.jpg

I echo your frustrations. I've hit those several times. I've made a cover for those 3rd Row Seat buttons. It's a simple wood frame with a see thru Plexiglas cover held in place by two wood screws. It's held in place by two strips of 3M super strength molding tape. I've got more pictures if you're interested.

imag0171ch.jpg

I echo your frustrations. I've hit those several times. I've made a cover for those 3rd Row Seat buttons. It's a simple wood frame with a see thru Plexiglas cover held in place by two wood screws. It's held in place by two strips of 3M super strength molding tape. I've got more pictures if you're interested.
Welcome to the Forum, KenH05261990. :wavey:Nice job on the cover. Just curious if you attempted to post that picture here. I've not been able to upload for the past 2 days.

NOTE TO MEMBERS: I accessed the photo through my email notification of Ken's post. The photo link did show there although it is not on his post. I wonder if that has anything to do with my problem trying to post pics the past 2 days.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum, KenH05261990. :wavey:Nice job on the cover. Just curious if you attempted to post that picture here. I've not been able to upload for the past 2 days.

NOTE TO MEMBERS: I accessed the photo through my email notification of Ken's post. The photo link did show there although it is not on his post. I wonder if that has anything to do with my problem trying to post pics the past 2 days.

Peter

Thanks for noting the issue with the photo. When you made reference to it, I was beginning to wonder if something was wonky because I couldn't find it anywhere! :)

I did try to post a picture, but I'm not sure why it's not showing....? It's the first time I tried this.

I did try to post a picture, but I'm not sure why it's not showing....? It's the first time I tried this.
There seems to be a problem with the system. I have been advised that it is being looked into.

Peter

Ken, the problem seems to have been fixed. I was able to post a picture again.
You can try again and see what happens.

Peter

imag0171ch.jpg

Let's see if the picture comes though this time....?

I have made 6 more of these covers for sale. If you interested in seeing more info, send me an email and I will return an email to you with more pictures.

KenH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imag0171ch.jpg

How do you access the buttons?

Back