3rd row PowerFold seats won´t fold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row PowerFold seats won´t fold

jerry2600

Reaction score
City, State
Santo Domingo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hello everybody, I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with PowerFold 3rd row seats that I bought used a few months ago. I have an issue where the 3rd row has the buttons for Normal, Stow and Fold; but the Fold button actually puts the seats in the Tailgate position. I've seen pictures online of other Explorers where the Fold button actually also has the option for Tailgate, but mine does not (it only says Fold and it only has one switch).

Is there a way to actually get the seats to fold instead of tailgate? I don´t think I'll ever use the tailgate setting and actually would get a lot of use out of the fold position.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odd as it may seem. there is no "tailgate" position. This is what the manual shows and talks about.
1677433108229.png

It would seem that you have an issue with the "Fold" function.
My previous 2014 MKT had the tailgate option when I pressed the bottom portion of the Fold button. Have you been touching the top or bottom of the toggle switch?

Peter

Right, that's exactly how my panel looks. I've been pressing the bottom part of the switch. The bottom is the only part that can be pressed, just like the Normal and Stow switches.

Right, that's exactly how my panel looks. I've been pressing the bottom part of the switch. The bottom is the only part that can be pressed, just like the Normal and Stow switches.
Taking a closer look at the picture, I can see that now. I don't recall a similar issue being talked about here so you may have to visit the dealer to get it fixed. Good luck.

Peter

So Fold/Tailgate is controlled by a single switch with two positions in the Flex/MKT as noted. I'd suspect either your switch is damaged or that you have the wrong folding seat module. The explorer diagram still shows the "tailgate" position but it's obviously not implemented on production vehicles. These switches work like a steering wheel switch in that they just use a single connection with various combinations of resistance to ground to signal different functions. Either the switch is damaged and sending the wrong resistance, or the Explorer 3rd row module is different than the Flex/MKT and just eliminates tailgate or flip flops it to make FOLD the "down" press instead of the "up" press like on those models. A quick parts search suggests the module is the same, so your switch is probably damaged or maybe someone replaced it with a Flex/MKT switch guts?

Back