Experiences with hill descent control? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Experiences with hill descent control?

mech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Motorbike
I tried this feature over the weekend where we got about 13 inches of snow. I enabled the control while descending a pretty steep hill in the snow. The feature seemed to function, but seemed to cause the abs to kick in almost constantly. It makes a heck of a racket and is far from smooth. Has any tried this feature with better results?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what it feels like for me too. I also have this feature on my BMW X5 and it feels almost the same [it is slightly less jolting in the X5]. In my opinion, the ex's hill descent mode lets the car go a little too fast for my liking. In the X5 it says not to use the brakes but I am not sure that's the case with the ex. Too lazy to read the manual...

That's the way it work's, it uses the abs in the hill descent mode i have used it many times when going up to lake george, it does make a little nosie but again it's the caliper's opening and closing at a fast pace (for lack of a better word) it may differ from one auto maker to another but thats the way it is.......! So go and enjoy your explorer and most important read read read your manual ! So tiems this forum may confuse you more when other that are not tech savy enters there two cents. Not that i'm all that but i do read alot of techy stuff before i give an answer!!

It is the way it works, and in my explorer does very well, do not touch the brake, she descends using the ABS to 5 kph, I tested the steep and stony hills well and is perfect

I tried this feature over the weekend where we got about 13 inches of snow. I enabled the control while descending a pretty steep hill in the snow. The feature seemed to function, but seemed to cause the abs to kick in almost constantly. It makes a heck of a racket and is far from smooth. Has any tried this feature with better results?

Hi mech,

As some of the others have stated below, a certain amount of noise/play is normal. If you're concerned, you can always mention it to your dealer the next time you have a service appointment. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

That's what it feels like for me too. I also have this feature on my BMW X5 and it feels almost the same [it is slightly less jolting in the X5]. In my opinion, the ex's hill descent mode lets the car go a little too fast for my liking. In the X5 it says not to use the brakes but I am not sure that's the case with the ex. Too lazy to read the manual...

That's the way it work's, it uses the abs in the hill descent mode i have used it many times when going up to lake george, it does make a little nosie but again it's the caliper's opening and closing at a fast pace (for lack of a better word) it may differ from one auto maker to another but thats the way it is.......! So go and enjoy your explorer and most important read read read your manual ! So tiems this forum may confuse you more when other that are not tech savy enters there two cents. Not that i'm all that but i do read alot of techy stuff before i give an answer!!

It is the way it works, and in my explorer does very well, do not touch the brake, she descends using the ABS to 5 kph, I tested the steep and stony hills well and is perfect

Thanks for sharing your experience, gang!

Crystal

So I put my 2013 Explorer on hill descent this morning, but stop right away as I notice an oncoming vehicle uphill. Since there is not enough room for 2 vehicles, I immediately reverse my SUV to allow the upcoming vehicle passage. I disable my hill descent after I reverse my vehicle.

I then reactivate my hill descent control, and proceed as normal. Half way down, a low engine oil pressure light starts to blink. I instinctively brake, which causes my brakes and steering wheel to freeze up. Additionally, my tranny basically shuts down, which means I can no longer move.

I turn the vehicle off, as per usual, and then restart. Everything seems fine now. Should I worry?

Back