hill descent questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hill descent questions...

Reaction score
City, State
pttsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 explorer sport
I am a bit confused on this hill descent feature. I read the owners manual and is says that you activate the switch in the center of the traction control switch, then operate the vehicle normally using the gas and brake pedals to set your speed, then let off the pedals and it will hold the speed. This is just how I would expect it to work, but when I activate the switch it says on the left information screen to slow down to below 20 mph to activate the feature. I did try to slow down below 20 to see if it worked, not sure really I mean this is ridiculous, who the hell goes down a hill below 20 mph? Is this correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a bit confused on this hill descent feature. I read the owners manual and is says that you activate the switch in the center of the traction control switch, then operate the vehicle normally using the gas and brake pedals to set your speed, then let off the pedals and it will hold the speed. This is just how I would expect it to work, but when I activate the switch it says on the left information screen to slow down to below 20 mph to activate the feature. I did try to slow down below 20 to see if it worked, not sure really I mean this is ridiculous, who the hell goes down a hill below 20 mph? Is this correct?
The place where the Hill Descent button is located is in the center of the Terrain Management System (TMS) dial. It's not the traction control switch. As to "who the hell goes down a hill below 20 mph?" question, this feature is basically meant for 'off road' use, not for going down hills on a city road or highway.
Traction Control is a setting in the Information Display or a switch (if equipped).

Peter

As Peter said, when you are going down steep hills, off-road or even pulling a trailer, it is meant to keep you in control on steep grades. This is not meant for on road normal driving through the mountains. It is designed so you don't constantly ride your brakes on steep declines.

I am very confused that a person from Pittsburgh would NOT know it's an off road feature. I go clay shooting at a place called "A Mountain Clays". Access to it is very steep and leaving is an excellent place to use the hill decent feature. It's steep, gravel, rutted and can be very slick in the winter. Hill decent keeps my Explorer descending at a set speed and keeps me off the brakes that may cause me to slide into the ditch, or worse yet, over the hill.

I usually set it between 2 and 5 mph depending on the conditions.

so sorry for my ignorance on both the correct terminology for the terrain management switch and also my obvious lack of Pittsburgh off roading. lol, really. I didn't spend almost $50K on a brand new explorer SPORT to take it rock crawling! I mean really, how many of these vehicles are used off road? The thing has zero ground clearance, don't kid yourself guys, your not driving a big bad 4x4. My wife drives this vehicle daily in the crazy Pittsburgh weather.

I am very confused how someone from West Virginia would NOT see the many uses, on the MANY multi mile grades that we travel daily in this part of the country. I would use that feature every week to hold my speed around 40mph on long hills.

As Peter said, when you are going down steep hills, off-road or even pulling a trailer, it is meant to keep you in control on steep grades. This is not meant for on road normal driving through the mountains. It is designed so you don't constantly ride your brakes on steep declines.

an F250 and an Explorer Sport are not quite the same animal. Hell even my 2010 is much more off road capable than this new generation.

There are a few members that have taken their Explorers 'off road' and the vehicles have performed quite well. Not the rock crawling the previous generations have done but then it wasn't designed for that. Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

Peter

an F250 and an Explorer Sport are not quite the same animal. Hell even my 2010 is much more off road capable than this new generation.

An Explorer and a F250 aren't the same? Really?

The video was to show how it works, that's all.

......Hell even my 2010 is much more off road capable than this new generation.
One was built for it and the other wasn't. Consumer demand changed so the Explorer became a unibody and a great success according to sales figures.

Peter

oh brother..... I feel like im having a discussion with my kids..... the off road comment was in reply to Mr West Virginia and the F250 video. I can see the usefulness of this feature on an F250 but not on the Explorer, because you see, I feel that the explorer is more of a street vehicle than an off road vehicle.
I really think my explorer sport is closer to a sports car that a truck.
I apologize for the stupid question about the hill descent feature, but if you read the owners manual is states noting about off road, trailering, or under 20 mph. That is where my confusion came from.
It is all crystal clear now, thank you guys for all the help.

oh brother..... I feel like im having a discussion with my kids..... the off road comment was in reply to Mr West Virginia and the F250 video. I can see the usefulness of this feature on an F250 but not on the Explorer, because you see, I feel that the explorer is more of a street vehicle than an off road vehicle.
I really think my explorer sport is closer to a sports car that a truck.
I apologize for the stupid question about the hill descent feature, but if you read the owners manual is states noting about off road, trailering, or under 20 mph. That is where my confusion came from.
It is all crystal clear now, thank you guys for all the help.

Did they take that out of the newer vehicles? My 2014 manual states it's designed to hold 3-20mph downhill speed but cannot set or maintain speeds above 20mph.

I didn't exactly buy an Explorer for this feature, but I also was a little disappointed I couldn't use it for a typical mountain descent, like say after skiing at a local hill. It becomes a game of brakes, and gears. A hill descent feature that supports a medium speed would be nice.

I live here in the mountains of Colorado.

For a slower speed or to control the speed better while going downhill I just downshift to a lower gear. Why worry about what a computer in a vehicle is going to do for you?

I do use the paddle shifters, but it's a pretty high maintenance process when factoring in traffic, windy sections, and changing grades. I do that so I don't overheat the brakes.

Back