Service AdvanceTract, Check Brake System and Hill Descent Control Fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service AdvanceTract, Check Brake System and Hill Descent Control Fault

colegial23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Base
My first post! Hello explorer enthusiast and expert. My explorer just pay a visit to the dealer after start showing some interesting warning messages. "Service AdvanceTract", "Check Brake System" and "Hill Descent Control Fault". Also after exposed those interesting messages I turned it off and when I tried to crank it up it wouldn't do anything. Wait about 20 minutes and then came back to life. My explorer just hit the 46K miles mark. Has anyone run into this before? By the way hasn't got any respond back from dealer yet.
Thank in advance for any feedback!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bad battery will cause that to happen. Seen it before.

On my 2017, I had the service advancetrac and check brake + some other warning lights and there was a stored code that resulted in a RCM and BCM being replaced , plus a couple of bad grounds/wiring connections addressed. Battery was fine in my case.

Did you scan it for codes before taking it in?

My 2016 also did the same thing and twice now I've taken it to same dealer with stored codes per Forscan, but dealer has said no codes and no issues found for some reason.

Battery is also fine in my situation. Hoping someone here can help figure out what to do. What you see in my video happens anytime I accelerate to 3,000 RPMs while taking off. As you can see it sounds an annoying alarm and displays all those lights on my dash. When I stop and cut it off it clears the dash and starts up fine. It also drives fine even though it does that. Any thoughts?
New Battery - Done
Big 4 Upgrade - Done
New Alternator - ?

On my 2017, I had the service advancetrac and check brake + some other warning lights and there was a stored code that resulted in a RCM and BCM being replaced , plus a couple of bad grounds/wiring connections addressed. Battery was fine in my case.

Did you scan it for codes before taking it in?

My 2016 also did the same thing and twice now I've taken it to same dealer with stored codes per Forscan, but dealer has said no codes and no issues found for some reason.
Has this been resolved?

Peter

Hello
I have 2017 explorer XLT with the hill descent control fault up on display at every start up also the traction control light and stability control light lit up in right corner. The vehicle Sat in backyard for 5 months without use, but started right up with no jumper cables or battery issues. That was about 2 weeks ago and about 2500 miles ago. Time and driving have not changed fault situation. The terrain management system does not light up at all and you can turn knob or push hill descent button with no results. Took vehicle to advance auto used there code reader no codes to report. So went to AutoZone same thing no codes. Could really use some assistance with were to troubleshoot I did try disconnecting battery and then reconnecting with no change in situation at all.

Hello
I have 2017 explorer XLT with the hill descent control fault up on display at every start up also the traction control light and stability control light lit up in right corner. The vehicle Sat in backyard for 5 months without use, but started right up with no jumper cables or battery issues. That was about 2 weeks ago and about 2500 miles ago. Time and driving have not changed fault situation. The terrain management system does not light up at all and you can turn knob or push hill descent button with no results. Took vehicle to advance auto used there code reader no codes to report. So went to AutoZone same thing no codes. Could really use some assistance with were to troubleshoot I did try disconnecting battery and then reconnecting with no change in situation at all.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
In some cases the wheel speed sensor may be the issue although I believe that should show a fault code. Have you taken it to the dealer to have it checked out? Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
In some cases the wheel speed sensor may be the issue although I believe that should show a fault code. Have you taken it to the dealer to have it checked out? Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available

Peter
I was attempting to fix myself before dealership have had many bad experiences with dealerships unable to diagnose problem. So cleaned all 4 wheel sensors and checked ohms on rear sensors they matched. Haven't don't front ohm test on wheel sensors yet and the rear axel sensor on top haven't figured out how I can get to it yet to test it. What else would you recommend?

I was attempting to fix myself before dealership have had many bad experiences with dealerships unable to diagnose problem. So cleaned all 4 wheel sensors and checked ohms on rear sensors they matched. Haven't don't front ohm test on wheel sensors yet and the rear axel sensor on top haven't figured out how I can get to it yet to test it. What else would you recommend?
I'm not sure. I let the dealer service my vehicles so I'm not very familiar with the location of some items or fixes if they haven't been reported here. If the vehicle was parked on grass for 5 months that isn't a good thing because of the dampness which would affect several underbody
components.

Peter

Back