5.0 swap need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sethblacktan

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge va
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
Hey I'm swapping my 4.0 ohc with a 5.0 I was dummy and forgot to check one critical component to my donor truck. It's only 2 wheel drive. Well I was looking at adapters to put my 4405 transfer case on and I can see that they make adapter gaskets but I can't find the adapter its self. Also I'm wondering if I'm going to be screwed when it comes to the wiring for the transfer case should I try to separate the wiring harness since it's all taped up in the harness for the ecm or does the ecm have a little control to the trans? My heads starting to hurt from figuring this out some please put me in the right direction

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im no trans expert, but if i am not wrong, it will be easier for you to find a 4wd transmission. its not just changing the tail housing, i believe the output shaft is also different. as for any wiring, 2wd and 4wd are the same. also there is no wiring going to the transfer case on a awd, as far as the pcm, and gem every 5L explorer is a 2wd

im no trans expert, but if i am not wrong, it will be easier for you to find a 4wd transmission. its not just changing the tail housing, i believe the output shaft is also different. as for any wiring, 2wd and 4wd are the same. also there is no wiring going to the transfer case on a awd, as far as the pcm, and gem every 5L explorer is a 2wd
Well it has to have 2 plugs on the tcase because it has the one plug for the shift motor to shift into 4x4 and then it also has a speed sensor on the back of the tcase. I figured out that the 4r70w 2wd is different because of the the longer spline. So I just bought a 4x4 4r70w and it will work except I still need a mechanical shift tcase. On the 4.0 there was 2 plus that ran to the back of the motor one was for the trans it was black and the other I believe went to the tcase. I need to know if the 4406 tcase was mechanical and if I'm heading in the right direction. I'm already to far in to buy another explorer that 4x4

Well it has to have 2 plugs on the tcase because it has the one plug for the shift motor to shift into 4x4 and then it also has a speed sensor on the back of the tcase. I figured out that the 4r70w 2wd is different because of the the longer spline. So I just bought a 4x4 4r70w and it will work except I still need a mechanical shift tcase. On the 4.0 there was 2 plus that ran to the back of the motor one was for the trans it was black and the other I believe went to the tcase. I need to know if the 4406 tcase was mechanical and if I'm heading in the right direction. I'm already to far in to buy another explorer that 4x4
Also this is that automatic 4x4 where you can still select 4x4 or 2x4 but as soon as the abs detects wheel slip it puts power 50/50 to both Axles. When it is in 2x4 is actual 93/7 power to the Axles

there are 2 types of 4406 cases. 4406m and 4406e. m is manual, e is electric. when you swap the 5L in, you will need all of the motor harness and computer. when you use the computer for it, it doesnt know if it is a 2wd or 4wd because all 5L were full time 4wd. there was no shifting to 2wd, 4hi or 4low. all 4406's bolt to the tail shaft of any 4r70 4wd transmissions. if you want to put a electric shift 4406 case in, you will need a different gem (from what, and what years i do not know). also the transfer case from your 4L driveline will not bolt up to a 4r70 trans

there are 2 types of 4406 cases. 4406m and 4406e. m is manual, e is electric. when you swap the 5L in, you will need all of the motor harness and computer. when you use the computer for it, it doesnt know if it is a 2wd or 4wd because all 5L were full time 4wd. there was no shifting to 2wd, 4hi or 4low. all 4406's bolt to the tail shaft of any 4r70 4wd transmissions. if you want to put a electric shift 4406 case in, you will need a different gem (from what, and what years i do not know). also the transfer case from your 4L driveline will not bolt up to a 4r70 trans
Thanks bud. I found a 1356 that will bolt up manual shift or of a f150. In 96 they made 2wd v8 explorers that's where I got my donor motor. I've got it almost all figured out just need to find shift linkages now for the transfer case. I'll probably have to send my drive shafts to heavy fleet to get them shortened and the 4x4 shaft lengthened. It's coming together pretty good so far I'll put up some pics when I'm done

Fwiw they made 2wd v8s every year. I'm buying an 01 2wd to swap into my s10

Back