Loose Door Handle?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loose Door Handle??

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
the outside handle on my drivers door is very loose. it will still open the door, but is so loose that it flaps when the door is shut and when bumps are hit. can it be tightened if i take the panel off or do i need a new handle assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love this answer too. I have the same issue. Thank you.

inside the door there is a rod that goes down from the outside door handle to the locking mechanism down at the bottom of the rod the rod is threaded and a retainer clip attaches to the rod and them snaps into the locking mechanism
that retainer clip is plastic and sometimes the threads get messed up and lets the rod move to far up which makes the handle loose

you have to remove the inside panel and reach with you hand through one of the access points in the door to get to it if you can unstap it from the botton then you can just thread it up on the road to were the handle is tight and then snap it back on

but if it breaks then you can get them at the dealer for like 3 or 4 bucks eash ( 1 per door)
hope that helps

joey (JTX) had to help me figure this out when mine wouldn't open from outside

Same problem! thanks for the info, i tried it but its not working.........hands too big or the mechanism too small!

ya its a real pain to try and get your hand all the way back there

I'll try it again someday when I'm not in a bad mood and break everything in the door. Doesn't bother me that much anyway.

My `93 has the same problem. To prevent it from happening on my `92, I just shaved the handles.....PROBLEM SOLVED!

Ryan

Back