is it hard to fix the door handle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is it hard to fix the door handle?

frat guy

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, '02 Audi A4
well i went to ford and they said it would be a couple hundred bucks to fix my driver side door handle. the outside handle is very loose and it is the only way i can open my door. the door does not lock and sometimes it gets stuck, i have to fght it to open it....anybody work on that? is it hard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced the interior door handle, but not an exterior... I'd imagine it's a *****

with the right tools it is not too bad.
A punch, a hammer, a kick ass drill with a 1/4 inch bit and
a " big daddy " rivit gun. ( Oh yeah, two big rivits too )

Punch out the manderal out of the rivits that hold the door handle in place.
Drill out the rivits.
Pop in the new ones.
Have your buddy hold the dne of the rivit gun as you pop them.
The big daddy's pop with a good bit of force, and then they pop the gun could jump and slide down the door. ( been there, done that )

If that sounds out of your league, call a few body shops.

Best of luck.

MONMIX it does sound out of my league. I think I will have to call some body shops. But what do you think something like that should cost? Ford is saying a couple hundred bucks, but I know they always charge high....

a couple hundred bucks is what bosdy work costs... the only real way arround it is to know some one...

I don't have the labor book here, but it should easily be less than $100.00

ok guys help me. both my back doors-will not open from inside. my husband has replacement handles-but can't get them to work-my interior has been partially pulled apart now for 2 weeks.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's awesome and nothing ever gets to him-but this is pushing the envelope :hammer: :hammer: :eek: :eek:

vegasccrn said:
ok guys help me. both my back doors-will not open from inside. my husband has replacement handles-but can't get them to work-my interior has been partially pulled apart now for 2 weeks.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's awesome and nothing ever gets to him-but this is pushing the envelope :hammer: :hammer: :eek: :eek:

Stupid question here but you don't have the child locks turned on do you???

That would cause both rear doors not to open from the inside. I'm sure you have thought of this but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have this weird problem about my passenger side back door not opening sometimes if i dont hit the unlock button before they grab a hold of the handle to open the door. the driver side back door opens perfect, but the passenger side back door stays locked and traps the person inside. And my child safety lock is off???? WTF!

i have another question to add to the growing list of questions. does anybody know what the difference is between the 1997 door handle and the 1998. The 97 costs $120 and the 98 door handle costs $30. WTF? i can't imagine they are that different. (i am still pricing to get the door fixed but it is still over $200. I think it's just because of parts}

Back