• Register Today It's free!

Engine Knock and Miss

Blue_Oval_Ford

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4
Can a bad fuel injector cause a slight engine knock and miss. It seems to be coming from under the truck on the right side. I have tried seafoam with little success.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blue_Oval_Ford said:
Can a bad fuel injector cause a slight engine knock and miss. It seems to be coming from under the truck on the right side. I have tried seafoam with little success.

I thought some of these things had a knock related to the timing chain tensioners...unless that's only the V8s (don't know what you've got). A bad injector will cause a miss though.

I already had the front and rear chains/tensioners/cassettes replaced 20,000 miles ago so I do not believe this could be it. Most of the time it's only intermittent when it warms up and the power decreases the longer I drive it.

Blue_Oval_Ford said:
I already had the front and rear chains/tensioners/cassettes replaced 20,000 miles ago so I do not believe this could be it. Most of the time it's only intermittent when it warms up and the power decreases the longer I drive it.

There is a way to check the injectors, but I don't know- if you use the search you should be able to come up with it. Otherwise one of the 4.0 guys may have some tips for you, bump the thread once or twice if no one responds...

OK, broke down and installed my new 19lb fuel injectors from fiveomotorsports today. What a differance new injectors make in a high milage vehicle. No more miss or knocking.
Can't wait to see if my gas milage increases.

Blue_Oval_Ford said:
OK, broke down and installed my new 19lb fuel injectors from fiveomotorsports today. What a differance new injectors make in a high milage vehicle. No more miss or knocking.
Can't wait to see if my gas milage increases.

Cool. Wonder if my intermittent miss is injector related. I know I've got a bad tick and I'm leaning more towards a bad lifter...

Back