Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
which would be better
4.56 and drive or
4.88 and use OD on the freeway,
is the A4LD upto it, I have had it rebuilt with some upgrades and my explorer is not a daily driver and when trail ready weighs in at ~6000
tires will be in the 35-36 range
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that I know anything :rolleyes: but I have been considering 4.56's after we ;) put my lift on and I wear out my Michelin's to the point where I need 33's

So if you're going 35"-36" you'll be happier with 4.88's, besides you already sold your doubler

I like the lower gears....i'm going to be running 5.13's in mine with the same size tire.

cp

I have 4.88s and no ill effacts from the A4LD

From every opinion I've heard, the 35-36s would need 4.88s if you have the V6 OHV. I will be going with 4.88s and 35s so that I will be able to move up to 37s later without any worries.

Yup, 4.88:1 or lower is where you want to go. Your A4LD is probably up to it, although they are usually the weak link in the 1st gens. Hope it works out.

-Drew

If you have the stock Dana 35 up front, you can't get 4.88 gears. They don't make them. I went with 5.13's and 35" tires and its my best mod yet! Lots of throttle control and less strain on the drive line in the dirt. Not good for daily driving though, unless you own a gas station. :D

BKennedy said:
If you have the stock Dana 35 up front, you can't get 4.88 gears. They don't make them. I went with 5.13's and 35" tires and its my best mod yet! Lots of throttle control and less strain on the drive line in the dirt. Not good for daily driving though, unless you own a gas station. :D

I got a D44 and a 9" I am locking and regearing

Albino 94LTD said:
Not that I know anything :rolleyes: but I have been considering 4.56's after we ;) put my lift on and I wear out my Michelin's to the point where I need 33's

so................................
My body lift might go to a good home when I take it off?

Those 33's surely ain't fitting and keeping your girl pretty with only a couple inches. I do have a nice little Makita sawzall here though :D :eek:

jrgaylor said:
I got a D44 and a 9" I am locking and regearing

Go with at least a 4.88. If you go bigger on the tires (like 37") you will need to re-gear again if you go with the 4.56's. Fakawee has 5.13's and 37" tires. I drove his rig for a few hours straight on the street and it felt like stock gearing.

BKennedy said:

are you sure, i found these list on Precision gear's website and thought i could use them and have 4.88's

this is where it gets trickey for me

the dana 35 listed here as fitting
Dana 35 - not reverse
but here it doesn't list list 4.88, on the dana 35 reverse.
Dana 35 reverse

but it show the spec's on the top of each page being the same. I want to end up with 35's so i figured on 4.88.. am i wrong/right/insane and have to have 4.56's?

I am not sure. But I think you would be ok with 4.56 and mild wheeling. If you are keeping the TTB up front you must not plan to wheel it too hard anyway.

BKennedy said:
Go with at least a 4.88. If you go bigger on the tires (like 37") you will need to re-gear again if you go with the 4.56's. Fakawee has 5.13's and 37" tires. I drove his rig for a few hours straight on the street and it felt like stock gearing.

That's another reason i'm going with 5.13's...later after upgraded shafts and lockers in the d44. and the 35"s i buy wear out i'll probably go up to a 37" meat.

cp

i dont but i would like to retain some pep. Not a hardcore wheeler but i do like to get out when i can. Later in life when i gain the necessary knowledge to weld and fab properly i made under take a SAS, but who knows.

i think i'll email precision gears and find out

You guys wanting 5.13's had better call around and check for availibility, that was the gear I was going for till call after call was no more than just back orders, and this is for the front gear, the rear as availible, but it does you no good if you can't get the front.

And for the 4.88's if I'm right you can not get those for the TTB Dana 35.

This is why I settled for 4.56's.

Jeff - :navajo:

Like he said:

BKennedy said:

zhanx said:
are you sure, i found these list on Precision gear's website and thought i could use them and have 4.88's

this is where it gets trickey for me

the dana 35 listed here as fitting
Dana 35 - not reverse
but here it doesn't list list 4.88, on the dana 35 reverse.
Dana 35 reverse

but it show the spec's on the top of each page being the same. I want to end up with 35's so i figured on 4.88.. am i wrong/right/insane and have to have 4.56's?
Now we are confusing generations :confused:

1st gen Ex (91-94, TTB) has a reverse rotation (HP) D35 and there are no 4.88's available (though there are 5.13's)
2nd gen Ex (95-01, SLA IFS) uses standard rotation (LP) D35 gears and there are 4.88's available (but no 5.13's)

Creager said:
4.88 for HP D35 (reverse rotation Dana 35)

http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledetails.jsp?parts_id=PGR:35D-488R

Yukon also claim they have one... but the model number has 513R in it, not 488R

http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledetails.jsp?parts_id=YUK:YGM35R-513R

Well, when I got the 5.13's it was about two years ago, and they did not make a reverse rotation 4.88 gear for the TTB Dana 35. We searched the world over and was told by every gear manufacturer that it was not avaliable. Partly the reason I went with the 5.13's. Now that I did, I have been very happy with them.

what about in a daily driver with a 3 speed tranny??? i was thinking 4.56s because it will see the highway occasionally. ohh yeah thats with my 315/75/16 xterrains

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my rear 60 and front HP 44 I am running 5.13's with 39.5's.

Back